Border Terrier and running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mhawk 12 Mar 2018

I posted on here a while ago asking about dog breeds. We are looking at possibly getting a Border Terrier in the near future. 

I wanted to ask if anyone had experience and advice on them? Particularly around running and walking with them. I am aware that you need to allow a dog to mature before taking them running. 

What sort of distance could I expect a Border to run with me? I don't often exceed 25 miles a week or 10 miles on a single run (more often run 3/5 miles). We have also considered a Whippet as another option if a Border would struggle with this.

Dave the Rave 12 Mar 2018
In reply to mhawk:

I’ve had several BT’s before they were popular. You will probably have trouble keeping up with one. 

They are not your average small terrier and have only recently become pampered by some unworthy owners.

There’s tales of them doing some amazing feats of endurance such as 40 miles in a night and back for breakfast.

As with most terriers they like to kill things and get a bit of bloodlust

abr1966 12 Mar 2018
In reply to mhawk:

Im on my 3rd Border.....all been very robust dogs! Good on the hill and will go all day. I used to run with mine, only issues was sore pads but if not on the roads never a problem. My current on is 10 now and slowing up a bit but always game for anything!

Wee Davie 12 Mar 2018
In reply to mhawk:

Make sure you let the dog grow to its full size before you run with it. Young dogs can be badly injured by running them while their bones and growth plates are still not mature. I've got a big dog (Pointer) and he didn't run with me until he was 18 months at least. Smaller dogs can be run earlier than bigger breeds but beware of causing the dog problems in later life. 

shuffle 12 Mar 2018
In reply to mhawk:

Whippets are really lovely dogs, but may not be a great option as a running partner. They like to run very fast for short distances and then have a massive sleep. They're very slightly built and have quite delicate skin so not ideal if you're keen on getting out on rough ground in bad weather.

I have a lurcher (whippet/Patterdale cross) who has been a great running buddy but is getting on a bit now and not able to keep up

Jim Lancs 12 Mar 2018

One problem with BTs, is they are known to have a 'change in their priorities' when out on the hills and can bugger off. A friend of mine lost his while out running and scoured the hills before and after work for a week but to no avail.

But everyday he always repeated the exact same route at exactly the same time as on the day the dog went missing, and after 7 days, the dog joined back in with the run as if nothing had happened. He hated to think what it had been up to.

On the plus side, BTs are easily small enough to lift over stiles and rocky steps. On really steep rocky or icy ground they will also happily travel in a closed up rucksac on your back as going down fox holes is their forte.

OP mhawk 12 Mar 2018

Brilliant, thanks all, really helpful comments.

Tom Valentine 13 Mar 2018
In reply to Jim Lancs:

I take my mate's Border out walking a lot and it took me a long time to have the confidence to have him off the lead when in areas where there are fox/badger holes; but in practice he's OK, only having taken off once in pursuit of a whippet bitch.

Not sure about running with him, though, since his main aim in life seems to be to trip me up , on or off the lead.

Post edited at 09:38
 Flinticus 13 Mar 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

Second the importance of this advice. Exclude ball throwing as well (too much force on developing joints) and do not use one of those plastic ball launchers.

Hat Dude 13 Mar 2018
In reply to shuffle:

> Whippets are really lovely dogs, but may not be a great option as a running partner. They like to run very fast for short distances and then have a massive sleep. They're very slightly built and have quite delicate skin so not ideal if you're keen on getting out on rough ground in bad weather.

Definitely agree that Whippets don't have stamina, my elderly mother got one for this reason and it was ideal for her; had a fantastic temperament too.

Tringa 19 Mar 2018
In reply to mhawk:

Agree about being careful introducing young dogs to running and that whippets are more suited to a very fast few hundred metres than miles.

Border terriers, along with Patterdales and Lakelands, although many are companion dogs now, are working breeds and tough dogs and I think they will cope well.

They are from the more independent minded end of the terrier group (and many, if not all, terriers can be pretty strong willed).

There are some good pointers here - http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/borderterriers.html

Dave

Tringa 19 Mar 2018
In reply to mhawk:

Should have added in my previous post, please consider a dog rescue organisation. There are lots of dogs in need of a good homes and the organisations could do with support.

Decent organisations (eg Dogs Trust or Terrier Rescue) will be straight about what their dogs need.

Dave

Hat Dude 19 Mar 2018
In reply to Tringa:

> They are from the more independent minded end of the terrier group (and many, if not all, terriers can be pretty strong willed).

If you get a Patterdale you'll be running all day - chasing after the thing!

They're the escapologists of the dog world.

Pete Pozman 20 Mar 2018
In reply to mhawk:

You have to have a border on the lead for the whole run. A gamekeeper is not going to tolerate a dog on the moor; which means a shot dog . Never trust a terrier not to hunt. A bloke used to race on the North York Moors with a border on a bungee lead attached to his waist. That looked pretty effective as his hands were free for balance. A border won't run at your side either. They always set the agenda. My border lakeland cross has been a great companion. Don't overdo it though. Remember the Border Hunt, after which the type is named, carry them to the action . 

Tom Valentine 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Pete Pozman:

You must have did somebody wrong for that dislike, old timer.

JimR 20 Mar 2018
In reply to mhawk:

I run a lot with our dogs, two springer spaniels. I do a few canicross events, they are marvellous fun with dogs of almost every breed, I have yet to see a dog/human combination where the dog is the weak link My daughter's partner does parkruns with their King Charles Cavalier in c21mins .. enough said!

Dave the Rave 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I echo your view.

many years ago I camped at the farm at Malham Cove. The Border was beside me in the tent whilst I made tea. All was well with the world.

Next minute I heard “ is that your f*ckin dog in the field with the sheep”. No I replied she’s he....

Indeed the dog RIP, was in the field with the sheep.

To make amends she went on the hunt in a pub in Hawes. The locals were dead friendly and invited me to play a game of bones. The dog disappeared under the bench chairs and found the  double six which had been missing for a while. 

Pete Pozman 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Tom Valentine:

I probably mentioned hunting...

Pete Pozman 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

A terrier has its uses 

JPE 20 Mar 2018
In reply to shuffle:

Whippets are fantastic dogs - even if you want to get out in the hills. Would recommend going for working/coursing lines however as they seem to be a little hardier. Only downsides are that the breed is VARY variable: some are complete wimps that hate the sight of a grey cloud and others don't care at all. Also for consideration is the prey drive with sheep.

We took ours up Helvellyn a month or so ago. 

Fozzy 21 Mar 2018
In reply to mhawk:

Border Terriers were originally bred to be able to keep up with horse and hound during fox hunts. As such, they have an innate ability to keep on going for long distances  

A mate of mine has one and took it along when we were doing woodcock counts in January. The border kept on going even after my little rocket of a cocker spaniel was tiring, which is a rarity in itself. 

shuffle 21 Mar 2018
In reply to JPE:

I love whippets, but have clearly only ever met wimpy ones! Yours sounds like it comes from much tougher stock 

krikoman 21 Mar 2018
In reply to mhawk:

Are you looking for a hard border or a soft border?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...