Trail race “certified” outerwear - advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 druss 10 Mar 2018

Hello all

I've entered my first trail run and apparently need appropriate outerwear. The easy approach is simply buy Inov8, which is expensive, but I’m having difficulty finding cheaper “certified” gear.  I’m don’t know how many races I’ll be participating in in the future.

I have Patagonia Houdini which I would like to use but am unsure if it would be unacceptable by race rules?  Alpkit have a package but I also don’t know if this meets the criteria. I also need to get for my wife.

Thanks for advice in advance. 

thommi 10 Mar 2018
In reply to druss:

Hey. Exciting news on your race, hope you have a great time. Which race have you entered? Most only state that they require you to carry waterproofs which are taped at the seams. Some are a bit more specific about what is and isn't acceptable (like not allowing certain pertex fabrics). If I were you, rather than post on here, send an email to the organisers. I'm sure they'll be happy to help. Anyway, hope you  have a great time.

OP druss 10 Mar 2018
In reply to thommi:

> Hey. Exciting news on your race, hope you have a great time. Which race have you entered? Most only state that they require you to carry waterproofs which are taped at the seams. Some are a bit more specific about what is and isn't acceptable (like not allowing certain pertex fabrics). If I were you, rather than post on here, send an email to the organisers. I'm sure they'll be happy to help. Anyway, hope you  have a great time.

Thanks. I’ve entered the Snowdonia Trail half. I did email them but didn’t get a very helpful response other than saying waterproofs. I think I’m looking at having to buy the expensive stuff rather than “wind proof/light rain”, which Patagonia Houdini falls in. 

SouthernSteve 10 Mar 2018
In reply to druss:

Usually waterproofs with taped seams are the required kit in mountain races. This is probably what they want. HTH s

Dark-Cloud 10 Mar 2018
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Yep, agree, waterproof with taped seams and a hood too.

OP: You won’t get away with a pertex windproof if they happen to kit check you.

the “easy approach” is buy the cheapest waterproof with taped seams you can find, loads out there, don’t focus on inov8 just because it’s a running brand.

JoshOvki 10 Mar 2018
In reply to druss:

I am not particularly quick so not watching how many grams I am carrying. On the last race I entered I had the Alpkit Pulsar as my top layer and a pair of Berghaus Deluge over trousers, both were accepted on a race that is well known for being very strict on its kit checks. The Arro which I believe is part of the package won't do the job as it is windproof not waterproof.

OP druss 10 Mar 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks. Any recommendations? I’ve looked at some obvious like Alpkit, Inov8, Montane, OMM?

OP druss 10 Mar 2018
In reply to JoshOvki:

> I am not particularly quick so not watching how many grams I am carrying. On the last race I entered I had the Alpkit Pulsar as my top layer and a pair of Berghaus Deluge over trousers, both were accepted on a race that is well known for being very strict on its kit checks. The Arro which I believe is part of the package won't do the job as it is windproof not waterproof.

Thanks and I’ll check that out. 

Dark-Cloud 10 Mar 2018
In reply to druss:

Any of them that you can afford and fit well, alll pretty similar really, my money would be going to one of these if I was buying another lightweight shell specifically for running.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/gravitas-mens

No idea on your budget though but if you intend doing any sort of running in the mountains it’s a sound investment anyway.

Neil Williams 10 Mar 2018
In reply to druss:

> Thanks. I’ve entered the Snowdonia Trail half. I did email them but didn’t get a very helpful response other than saying waterproofs. I think I’m looking at having to buy the expensive stuff rather than “wind proof/light rain”, which Patagonia Houdini falls in. 

I did that a few years ago and basically used hillwalking kit.  By the top of Snowdon I was in a T-shirt and shorts.

SouthernSteve 10 Mar 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

A vote for the OMM jackets from me - you need not to be too chunky for the smocks. The jackets have  a little more forgiving.

The new ones are in short supply!

https://www.theomm.com/new-kamleika-availability/

DaveHK 10 Mar 2018
In reply to druss:

Mountain Warehouse or similar packamac. About a tenner each for top and trousers and perform very well.

Roadrunner6 11 Mar 2018
In reply to druss:

Its generally just taped seams.

I wouldn't get too concerned, they rarely check.

I know a number of fell runners who carry kids waterproofs, the smallest possible. All you do is pull a handful out and they see you have it on you..

But generally the cheap pac o mac type things are fine.

SouthernSteve 11 Mar 2018
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> I wouldn't get too concerned, they rarely check.

I must have a dodgy face, they usually seem to check me! 

Also, Decathlon was recently mentioned on another forum for having good deals for jackets, compared to some other makes. A quick look found this for £20. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-100-mens-waterproof-jacket-blue-navy-id...

Roadrunner6 11 Mar 2018
In reply to SouthernSteve:

They have probably got stricter after the death a few years back.

They'd check at the longer fell races but it was just a glance in.

People get too caught up with breathability, all you need is something to trap heat in, you rarely run with the thing anyway.

Neil Williams 11 Mar 2018
In reply to Roadrunner6:

There were a number of cases of hypothermia at Lakes in a Day due to people doing this kind of thing.  Very foolish indeed.

fimm 12 Mar 2018
In reply to druss:

I carry Decathlon waterproof trousers - they have the taped seams. You are unlikely to be running in them anyway. I've got a more expensive waterproof running top - it might be Ron Hill brand - anyway a decent jacket is where I'd spend your money as there's some chance that you will use that. I tend to also carry a lightweight windproof as they are very useful if your full on waterproof is too warm.

OP druss 13 Mar 2018

Thanks everybody for the responses!  The examples have definitely helped know what is acceptable.  Despite the weight, there isn't a downside that I can see going with cheap. 

The New NickB 13 Mar 2018
In reply to druss:

The reason you are having trouble finding “trail race certified” outerwear is because it is a completely made up concept. Googling brings up this thread. The nearest you will get is the FRA (Fell Runners Association) guidance, which certainly isn’t certified in any way. The FRA guidance is basically waterproof material, taped seams and a hood.

Ive got an expensive innov8 race jacket, it is OK, but no better than the £34 Decathlon sale jacket that I bought my other half and actually in the sort of conditions where you want to be wearing a waterproof, a £10 waterproof does what you need.

maxtaylor 15 Mar 2018
In reply to druss:

I just signed up for the long run on this! Im trying to work out what shoes to get, as both of my trail shoes are already pretty holey!

OP druss 16 Mar 2018
In reply to maxtaylor:

I've gone with Inov-8 Trailroc (rocky technical/wet'sh) and Trailtalon for the longer distance, but doesn't perform as well in technical rocky terrain or if there is a bit more mud.  Love both of them but I do like a minimal shoe.

OP druss 16 Mar 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

> The reason you are having trouble finding “trail race certified” outerwear is because it is a completely made up concept. Googling brings up this thread. The nearest you will get is the FRA (Fell Runners Association) guidance, which certainly isn’t certified in any way. The FRA guidance is basically waterproof material, taped seams and a hood.

> Ive got an expensive innov8 race jacket, it is OK, but no better than the £34 Decathlon sale jacket that I bought my other half and actually in the sort of conditions where you want to be wearing a waterproof, a £10 waterproof does what you need.

Thanks Nick

That's one of the reasons for the OP as I was looking for "certified" or "race approved" outerwear and finding nothing.  The last thing I wanted was not being allowed to race on the day because of a technical error.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...