Crag to introduce children to outdoor climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 09 Mar 2018

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a crag or area  in the Lakes to take kids climbing, nothing technically challenging but something good fun for a 7 and 5 year old (they both been going to the indoor wall every so often)

Ideally somewhere I could set up a bottom rope system let them climb and then lower them back to ground. 

Thanks

Ps. This is for May onwards when the weather should be better and the rock dry (fingers crossed).

woppo 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Lindale slabs? polished but easy access, slabby and bolt belays. used by centres for many years.

pec 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

The Brown slabs area on Shepherd's Crag, Borrowdale is at a nice ammenable angle with no exposure and several easy routes which can be bottom roped in the Diff to HVDiff range. There's also a public toilet a few mins walk away back at the road (handy for small kids).

charliesdad 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Long scar and Black crag in Langdale have lots of single pitch stuff to go at in the lower grades. Short walk in and simple ways down from either end of the crags.

craig h 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I've use to take my kids to Hutton Roof Crags, just the other side (East) of the M6 at junction 36. Good mixture of easy climbs, fairly short and seem to remember easy enough to find belays at the top.

Post edited at 21:19
 Monk 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

I've not been yet, but I've got my eye on the upper tier at shepherds for similar adventures. 

Dark-Cloud 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

As above black crag and long scar are good but out of lakes Hutton Roof is great, thread belays are easy to find at the top.

Mark Eddy 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Some really useful places put forward so far. Plenty of venues in the Lakes that will suit.

I wrote a short piece covering this, here's a link to it: http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/family-climbing-venues.html

Mark

In reply to Alan M:

Another nod for Hutton roof crags (actually north lancs) , very good family venue and a genuinely nice place to be. There's a decent guide on lakesbloc too i think

Tony Jones 09 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Headend Quarry in the north lakes could work: stakes at the top to set up a top rope, and a reasonable place for a picnic. My kid loves it there.

OP Alan M 09 Mar 2018
In reply to All:

Thank you all for the replies.  It is crazy hearing some of the crags being mentioned again.  Places I have climbed at years ago but completely forgotten about. Hutton Roof being one, Long Scar being another crags I have spent many summer days and evenings at.   

I will dig out my old guidebooks and get reading/planning.

Pretty excited planning this week away.. A week of open boating, climbing and hill walking .  Can't wait

Post edited at 22:36
J1234 10 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

St Johns in the Vale  Church Crag#overview you can park dead near. Or you can park where you park for castle rock and its a pleasant walk over high/low rigg, with a return via http://campingbarn.com which has a Tea Room. That might be a bit far for little ones though.   

Post edited at 07:54
 John Kelly 10 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Birk Knott Crag

In an attempt to offer something different the above might be worth a look

It's close to parking, 5 mins for adult, and not too steep, sunny aspect, relatively low altitude, probably worth checking before visit, combine with visit blea tarn.

I don't think black crag suitable for 5year old except on a very unusual day, sunny no wind, long scar bit better routes but weather still applies

Scout Crag always popular if polished

freemanTom 10 Mar 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Is a lovely little amenable slab in Borrowdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...