Mountain guide apprenticeship/mentoring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anonymous123 08 Mar 2018

I plan to accrue a great deal of experience in the hills in anticipation of heading up to Fort Bill to study next year and I'm increasingly excited about the possibility of one day working as a guide. The trouble is, I've never had the chance to spend any time with a guide and unfortunately don't have a great deal of spare cash either.

Really, I hope I don't sound like a chancer, but are there any guides out there, or experienced trainees willing to let me shadow? I'm more than happy to be a pack mule, do admin, pay for expenses, or help however I can in return. From August onwards I will be pretty much available anytime (live in Glasgow) and I have reasonable experience in the Scottish hills. 

If you are willing or know someone who is, I'd be so grateful. 

summo 08 Mar 2018
In reply to anonymous123:

Join a local club and get out climbing. If you are climbing the right grades summer and winter etc.. you'll soon start to meet like minded folk. Whilst the club's might not have loads people looking to alt. lead e2/V+ they will have more folk with decades of experience who will happily follow you up and offer advice (provided you are generally safe and competent already).

Post edited at 17:20
 Lucy Wallace 08 Mar 2018

What will you be studying in fort William? If it's one of the outdoor courses I'm sure you will spend plenty of time being taught by outdoor professionals some of whom are IFMGA guides. In the mean time you could try a local outdoor centre to get some experience. Put together a cv and send it out to the heads of each centre.  Most people in the outdoor industry work their way up through Mountain Training qualifications and do plenty of the less glamourous work. Those that get on the Guides scheme and bypass this journey have exceptional proficiency and commitment to alpinism, ie, hard climbing, mountaineering and ski mountaineering. 

Post edited at 17:22
anonymous123 08 Mar 2018
In reply to summo:

It's a good idea. I've been part of a club for a couple years and it's been good. Hasn't worked out that I've had enough time for it with work until now, but might be easier now I do. 

anonymous123 08 Mar 2018
In reply to Snoweider:

It is - Performance and Coaching (hopefully). I'll go direct into 2nd year though, so I want to get a decent amount of experience under my belt so I can hit the ground running. I'm just chomping at the bit. Will definitely approach the outdoor centres. Cheers. 

Mark Collins 09 Mar 2018

I don't know if you're aware but trainee MIC etc sometimes advertise for clients on this site. Perhaps you could fulfill your requirements under the guise of that. Do a quick trawl of the forums, I'm sure you'll find something.

Rich W Parker 10 Mar 2018

You'll meet plenty of people at UHI and the chance to interact with staff.

It's worth mentioning that Instructing is becoming very popular and consequently quite busy whilst Guide training is extremely demanding and committing. It's good to have other irons in the fire or a well thought out long term plan. Best of luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...