UKC

ARTICLE: The Misty Isle of Skye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 07 Mar 2018
Alan pictured with Buchaille Etive Mhor in background., 2 kbAlan Heason looks back on and shares an essay that he wrote about a trip to Skye at age sixteen and a quarter...

I'd been sorting through wodges of old papers, as one does at a certain point in life, preparatory to shredding most of them as irrelevant, uninteresting or un-needed, when I came across a clip of hand-written pages of old school papers. I don't recollect reading through this one before. (I probably had, but there you go, memory…) It was an English essay on the subject 'what we did on our holidays', it was dated 1954; I would have been sixteen and a quarter years old.

Read more
 Jamie Hageman 07 Mar 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Bravo Alan.  That was lovely to read. 

colinthrelfall 07 Mar 2018

Great story I really enjoyed it. Interesting to think that if you arrive in Mallaig this day having never been to the Cuillin, or Skye, without a guidebook or internet, you would probably have a similar experience. 

Wyn 07 Mar 2018

A great tale there Alan. Made more remarkable by the fact that it was penned by the hand of a sixteen year old.

Post edited at 20:53
 Will Hunt 07 Mar 2018

Brilliant. There's something about Skye that makes it forge the strongest memories.

Wee Davie 08 Mar 2018

Brilliant article. Very talented writing. 

Mick Ward 08 Mar 2018
In reply to Wee Davie:

Indeed. Remarkable for a 16-year-old.

Mick

Iain Thow 12 Mar 2018

At least it was Glen Brittle by mistake for Coruisg and not the other way round!

The recent pic is below Sron Scourst on Harris. The abseiling gully looks suspiciously like limestone to me.

Post edited at 13:45
Removed User 12 Mar 2018

Loved this, made for a fantastic read on the train back from Dovre this weekend. Strangely drew many parallels to our winter trip last year to Skye (save for the currency)! Didn't see a single other 'tourist' the whole week, the whole island felt just as mysterious and remote now as it sounded 60 years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...