Snowy motorway crash footage, slow down folks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 02 Mar 2018

There's no graphic nature to this footage, but if it's deemed not suitable for Off Belay, can it be moved to Down The Pub?

youtube.com/watch?v=opWIh4Yh0nE&

A friend's Dad shared it on facebook, and whatever the root cause of the crash, it does look like people are driving too fast for how far ahead they can see, and for the stopping distances too. 

Please slow down in the snow.  

Edit: It turns out this isn't the M62.

Post edited at 14:27
 summo 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Timmd:

I think the biggest hazard is they are driving on the right in the UK. 

mrphilipoldham 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Fake news.

MG 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Timmd:

That's not the M62, as a moment's thought would make clear.  It's also speeded up.

Sam W 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Timmd:

While the advice on slowing down is sensible, this isn't footage of the M62.  First clue is that it says 'Iowa dot' in the top right hand corner, the second is that everyone is driving on the wrong side of the road (from a UK perspective).

GarethSL 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Is it me or is everyone there driving on the wrong side of the road..?

*obviousley not from the UK*

but still relevant

OP Timmd 02 Mar 2018
In reply to summo:

> I think the biggest hazard is they are driving on the right in the UK. 

I'd put it down to a quirk of things being reversed when shared by other parties, which is known to happen on youtube, it turns out to be fake new. Whoops.

Post edited at 14:28
 TobyA 02 Mar 2018
In reply to MG:

The fact that it says "Iowa DoT" in the corner could be considered a clue along with them all being on the wrong side of the road!

edit: Sorry Sam - you already pointed this out.

Post edited at 14:30
 MG 02 Mar 2018
In reply to TobyA:

> The fact that it says "Iowa DoT"

You mean it's not just our roads have been outsourced?

OP Timmd 02 Mar 2018
In reply to TobyA:

So shoot me, I'm still waking up/fuddle headed after catching up on sleep following a week of insomnia.

Post edited at 14:34
 FactorXXX 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Timmd:

> So shoot me, I'm still waking up/fuddle headed after catching up on sleep following a week of insomnia.

Look on the bright side, it's only four sleeps for you until Christmas.

OP Timmd 02 Mar 2018
In reply to FactorXXX:

I'll go back to hibernating.  

Nevis-the-cat 02 Mar 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Am I such a sad petrolhead that I spotted the unusual number of Peterbilts, Macks and Kenworths first,  then noticed they were driving on the right? 

Columbia753 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Where ever it was speeded up or not vast majority of crashes are caused by human error. Stupid driving by people that should know better as most have been driving for many years.  

I have my own rules dont get struck between two HGvs, stopping or at least slowing down distances,  using your experience to anticipate rather than react. 

OP Timmd 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Columbia753:

I try and cycle in a similar way, hopefully that translates into driving upon eventually passing.

Columbia753 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Timmd:

Exactly, if you ride like your vulnerable alot motorists dont give you respect. But of course dont ride like you shouldnt drive.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...