Perfect sofshell pants, winter weight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm on the market for new winter-weight softshell pants.

In the past I've owned various brands and models and have a good handle on what I want...but no-one seems to make them!

Key requirements:

• Winter weight, non-membrane* stretch softshell. (own brand is fine, good DWR properties)
  • Unlined preferrably.
  • Slim lower-leg. I have other pants for ski-touring.
  • Lace-hooks on internal gaiter.
  • Vents
  • Braces
  • High quality stitching

Preferences:

• Not dull colour
  • Double-layer knees and seat

* Can accept membraned in knees and seat.

Any suggestions?

TobyA 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Have you tried the 40 quid Decathlon ones? They might not meet all your requirements but are probably the third of the price of anything that does. Met a guide wearing a pair recently, and all my winter climbing mates seem to have them. Mine are years old now and still going strong - done most of my winter climbing this winter in them. I wrote this review 5 years ago, but I don't think they've changed them that much http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/simond-alpinism-pants-revie...

JohnnyW 02 Mar 2018

Agree with Toby - I wear mine with a pair of standard base layer pants and then some longer cycle short-type pants (without the pad obviously), and that makes them breathable and warm enough for the climb, and the generous vent cools for the walk in. I have also found the ankle gaiter good and effective in deep powder this season.

Can't recommend them enough really

vscott 02 Mar 2018

You've basically (bright colour aside) described patagonia mixmasters... which sadly were discontinued 6-7 years ago... haven't found anything that comes that close to being as good for Scottish winter.

In reply to TobyA:

Yep, didn't even close to fit, felt very restrictive. Shame as they are bargainful!  

Money isn't too much of an issue as I've just returned a pair of ME Missions due to the stitching all coming away. 

In reply to vscott:

I know...why they discontinue the best pants ever, who knows. Norona "almost" nailed it with the  Falketind, but it's too lightweight, no vents and no braces.  https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/falketind/falketind-flex1-pants-m/

I'm almost tempted to get by ski tour pants adjusted & get a lace hook added. Then they'd be spot on.

angry pirate 02 Mar 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Joining the chorus: I'm wearing mine now after a sledging session with the boys. 

Wore them in Rjukan last week with PowerStretch tights underneath and was toasty at -14. I have worn them on their own in some really awful UK conditions this winter without resorting to over trousers.

If they ever do them in a bright colour, i'lI snap their hands off

Obviously, if they don't fit...

I like the look of mountain equipment G2 pants, but they have a membrane so not what the op wants either.

Post edited at 17:01

Ok, no more mentions on Simond Alpnism pants please!!

They've been redesigned though (that's why the link is OOS)... maybe they would fit you now...

GarethSL 02 Mar 2018

Arc'teryx Procline FL trousers, although designed for ski touring are the best trousers I have ever used for ice climbing. Been using a pair all winter over a lightweight merino base layer and its been good down to -15. They have a slim-line fit, but straight in the leg (not tapered) but so far are not obtrusive. They have k-tech cuffs so will handle some sloppy footwork. They also have thigh vents which help dumping heat on long/ steep approaches.

Previously been available in bright orange, I have grey which is far better than black. They don't have a lace hook, haven't missed having it either, but you could easily add one, there is even a reinforced patch on the gaiter where I imagine one was envisaged to be. No reinforced knees or seat tho.

Cant recommend them enough. An alternative is the Gamma AR. They are too trim for my taste, but make a good spring ice/mixed trouser.

Stichtplate 02 Mar 2018

I've had a pair of montane super terra's last couple of years. Meet most of your requirements bar the braces. Quality finish and while not rated waterproof, I've never had them wet through. Absolutely love them.

In reply to Stichtplate:

> I've had a pair of montane super terra's last couple of years. Meet most of your requirements bar the braces. Quality finish and while not rated waterproof, I've never had them wet through. Absolutely love them.

They didn't seem that stretchy - how are they high stepping and bridging?

In reply to captain paranoia:

> They've been redesigned though (that's why the link is OOS)... maybe they would fit you now...

Oh, ok, I'll see if I can find some. Is the new version out then?

I think the Simond Alpinisme have been replaced by the Cascade pants, haven't they.... https://www.decathlon.co.uk/cascade-mens-trousers-id_8358689.html

bouldery bits 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

> Seem to be out of stock though.

Astonishingly, they have a chest pocket according to the link.

Incredible.

Stichtplate 02 Mar 2018

They’ve got a bit of give in them, never found them restrictive but then again my 48 year old legs don’t step that high anymore.

In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

They're waterproof.

Yes. There used to be 2 versions of the Simond alpinism pant, one water repellant, one slightly heavier and waterproof (Alpinism 700; though still more of an elastic softshell than a standard waterproof). 

I think the Cascade is somewhere between the two but maybe nearer the waterproof versiin (certainly in price). 

Post edited at 00:56

I was mostly joking... I think if the originals didn't fit (in what way, BTW?), I doubt the new ones will. I don't think Decathlon change their body models too much. Their stuff is all one size small, but consistently so, IME. Luckily, I seem to be a perfect fit for their size M.

But...

https://www.simond.com/mens-mountaineering-pants-black-id_8386810

neuromancer 03 Mar 2018

Have you worn G2 Mountain pants?

Legs don't sweat as much as upper bodies. They now come in orange. Thigh vents. Etc.

Probably be perfect. If they were too hot I suspect maybe adjust underlayer?

If still too hot maybe don't need winter weight pants?

olddirtydoggy 03 Mar 2018

Just switched on to the SImond alpinism trousers after my wife got a pair. The only negative thing I had was the internal ankle gaiter sweats up a little bit. The fit and performance is truly awesome and now my first 2 pairs of branded trousers are now the backups. They breathe, zip vent if you're needing more airflow and repell water really well. I just don't know how they do it for the price.

Seeing as no-one seems to sell my perfect pants....I'm resorting to looking at new boots with built in gaiters!  

The problem is, I quite like my current boots save for the lack of gaiter. (La Sportiva Trango Extreme Light GTX). I'm also wondering about using a light "runners" ankle gaiter. Could work...

TobyA 04 Mar 2018

I have two different pairs of short gaiters, old Outdoor Design ones and new Simond ones. Both do the job very well with my Trango Extreme boots.

Bog ninja 04 Mar 2018

how about Páramo enduro trousers. The are unlined, can take braces, have long side zips, have internal gaiters, are winter weight and available in blue or black. See the ukc review for more details 

planetmarshall 04 Mar 2018

I like my Millet Storm Pants, current models available in assorted daft colours, mine came with some complementary cheese.

Mine: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf3ozFzguuG/

In reply to Bog ninja:

Hadn't thought about them. Read the review. Definitely not buying them now!

In reply to planetmarshall:

A brand I hadn't thought about, gore windstopper though so they're out.

Man....I'm fussy eh??!!

In reply to TobyA:

Just wear them under your troos? (i.e. like turning a non super-gaiter boot into one?  Do they have lace clips?   I actually think this may be the way to go for now until I upgrade boots in the future as the lack of "lace clip" was ruling out a lot of options. 

nathan79 04 Mar 2018

> Man....I'm fussy eh??!!

Yes!!! ????

JayPee630 04 Mar 2018

I have a pair of the ME G2 ones and think they're great, membrane for legs is fine for me, and I hate membrane jackets. They mean I never carry waterproof trousers any more either.

The only fault is that the internal gaiter is a bit odd, seems to be twisted (i.e. the lace hook clips to the side a lot, and yes I have moved them about and tried all sorts of options to make them fit better) which I assume must be as they seem to be sized to fit ski boots maybe?

It is hard to find softshell trousers like you want though. In a similar vein I'm after something similar for alpine/warmer weather stuff, and want non-membrane ones with internal gaiters and lacehooks, but in a light colour (grey) so they don't get to hot and it's tricky to find a pair like that, they all seem to be black, with a few bright colors! There's a few about but finding a stockist seems impossible.

You would hope that Trango would have something in their extensive range. They certainly do bright colours...

http://www.trangoworld.com/en/subcategories/winter-2017-collection/mountain...

In reply to JayPee630:

Haglofs might have something for you? I have the Rando_flex which are possibly a touch to warm for alpine use, but they may have something. In fact, the ME Mission pants I just returned would probably work - you might have more luck than me with the stitching!

Also, the Cirque could be good?  https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens-cirque-pants/p/2430500008006  It was a contender for me for winter, but worn with nothing under would be fine in summer.

Or the Patagucci?  but it sounds like no lace hook ?  http://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/product/mens-simul-alpine-pants-for-alpine-cl... 

Ohh...oh...We have a winner:  https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/gamma-ar-pant  oh shit, no internal gaiter. But their blurb say their design has "eliminated the need for a gaiter"... could be worth a punt?

I've just ordered some Jottnar Vali. The only thing they don't have is lace hooks which I've decided I'm either:

a) going to add myself, or

b) do without/ use mini running gaiters/make a integral gaiter for my boots (tricky!)

{although, I've just noticed they're only 120 g/m^2 which is a hell of a lot lighter weight than both of my current winter pants so I'll maybe end up having to send them back if not quite what I'm looking for!)

As down the line I think I'll end up iwht boots with built in gaiters anyway.

Post edited at 11:58
 BnB 04 Mar 2018

Ankle gaiters, worn UNDER softshell pants  have consistently kept the worst of Scotland out of my boots. No need for a lace hook or other modifications.

Montane sabretooth pants are superb but discontinued. They do lack venting however so a bit warm over tights.

In reply to BnB:

Yea, I'm thinking this might be the way forward for me. What one's do you use?  I'm thinking I still want easy access to my laces as my boots always need a re-tighten at the gear up, and a loosen for the walk down.

Post edited at 14:23
 JayPee630 04 Mar 2018

Yeah, saw the OR Cirque on Needlesports website, looks good, thanks. Arcteryx did a Psiphon AR in a grey which is perfect, but seems to have dropped from their range now, the Gamma AR isn't that trim fitting.

I'll look at the Patagonia somewhere but they always seem to have a baggy fit on me. I've got a Nano Air hoody which is amazing except for the fit.

JayPee630 04 Mar 2018

I used some ankle Rab ones which were excellent after putting thicker elastic on for the under-the-boot bit, but they only lasted a few days out before getting a hole worn in them by the lace hooks on my boots. Guess they're designed for running shoes really.

BnB 04 Mar 2018

> Yea, I'm thinking this might be the way forward for me. What one's do you use?  I

The little Rab ankle ones. Have managed two winters in them which ain't bad. And they're neoshell so comfy. Berghaus used to make similar in a tougher material.

mal_meech 04 Mar 2018

> Man....I'm fussy eh??!!

You said it

James Rigby 04 Mar 2018

I've found that the simond ones are really good aswell and they sell at a very affordable price.

Post edited at 19:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...