Emergency shelters / group shelters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Who carries an emergency shelter who isn't an instructor?....and if so what do you have?

I can be own or with 4-5 Other people, do you have more than one that you take  out?

BrendanO 01 Mar 2018
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

I have, once or twice, taken a very badic 4-person shelter for sport days out in Scotland. When it started to snow at Kirriemuir, it was great to produce the shelter, and we all stood in it and brewed up with a jetboil until it stopped. Friend has done same at Kirrie. 

Not necessary, car was 5 min away, but it was good fun...and isn't that what we're trying to achieve?  (boy, I'm asking for it now)

Billhook 01 Mar 2018

Many years ago I was on a Glenmore Lodge winter course.  Somewhere bleak, windy and cold the instructor suggested stopping for a brew.  I couldn't frigging believe it - it was the most stupid  place possible and was just about to tell him.  Then in a flash his group shelter came out and we sat inside in comfort.

Dr.S at work 01 Mar 2018

When I’m out with the family I take a rab 4 person one, really good if the boy gets cold, or sorting out clothing. 

Swither between a blizzard bag and the group shelter if out on my Tod in more ‘serious’ places.

girlymonkey 01 Mar 2018

I am an instructor, but carry one when not instructing too.

I have a 2 person (it's really a 1 person and a dog size, but that is fine if I am out with my dog!), a 4-5 person and my big group one. 4-5 is what I probably carry most often when I am not working.

I use them loads for lunch stops etc. Fab bits of kit. My friends got benighted on tower ridge once and they think their shelter probably saved their lives. 

Andy Hardy 01 Mar 2018

> Who carries an emergency shelter who isn't an instructor?....and if so what do you have?

Me, I have a home made one. When "walking" with small children it was a game changer when the rain was sheeting down and faces were getting long, a snack break in the "big yellow tent" was a great morale booster  (don't need it now but still take it out)

doz 01 Mar 2018

Got two - wee one and big one - made by http://hilltrek.co.uk/

cousin nick 01 Mar 2018

We have a 2-person Lomo shelter. Very useful on the moors down here in the southwest where natural shelter isn't always an option.

N

Fiona Reid 01 Mar 2018

I always carry a super light 2 person one whether walking, skiing or climbing. That one is made by Terra Nova and takes up a bit more space than a can of coke, http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tarps-bivis-bothies/all-bothies-bothy-bags/supe... 

I also have a regular sized two person one and confess that I'd rarely have taken it climbing etc as it's too bulky.  The super light one takes up so little room that I don't think twice about taking it and it just stays in my sack regardless of the activity I'm doing.

If I'm out with a group (I lead a couple of walks as a volunteer each year) then I take a 4-6 person Rab one and if the group is larger than 6 will ask other folks to carry one or other of my two person ones so we've got enough to shelter everyone. Other walk leaders only take shelters in winter/ bad weather but I figure it doesn't weigh much so take it just in case.

Post edited at 09:02
 Cheese Monkey 01 Mar 2018

I've got an emergency two person one that I have used twice to get out of the rain and warm up. The difference inside one is amazing, particularly with two people and I take it everywhere now. I think it could make the difference between having a relatively minor but restrictive injury with dangerous hypothermia, or just a disappointing day 

nniff 01 Mar 2018

I take one - a 2-3 person one for two people.  The prospect of hours in a blizzard without one is not appealing

Dave 88 01 Mar 2018

Summer or winter I always carry a Terra Nova 2 person. It's a nice bit of reassurance that you can always get out of the wind and rain no matter what. If I'm honest, I would buy a 3 person one next time as this is so small that for two it's almost impractical, hence never gets used for lunch stops, and therefore (fortunately) has never been used.

Wingnut 01 Mar 2018

I have a 4-man one wedged permanently into the bottom of my daysack. Started carrying it after coming across another party's accident a few years back, would have been rather more useful than the blizzard bag I was in the habit of carrying at the time. Been used for one further accident (not mine either) since, plus various lunch stops in minging weather.

galpinos 01 Mar 2018

Small light 2 person one for when I don’t think I’ll need it.

4 man (3 adults or 4 adults 2 kids really) for family outing plus any time I think I might actually have to use it.

womblingfree 01 Mar 2018

yup, not an instructor but as often the one to suggest a day out, often with less clued up people, feel an obligation to be prepared

can be real moral boost to get in for some food, and the silliness aspect of organising people inside it. reminds us of younger days being too messy to leave the tent at wet festivals!

I carry a 4 person one that does 3 adults comfy and cosy. it's bulky though and I was considering a smaller one for when it's just me & the Mrs. after reading this might just look round a more package, lightweight 4 person job

only downside I can see is that I've you've been moving fast and got sweaty it allows you to cool right down and get cold, which isn't pleasant

brianjcooper 01 Mar 2018

> Who carries an emergency shelter who isn't an instructor?....and if so what do you have?

At this time of year I always take my 2 man TN shelter when on the hill. Assuming just two in the party. Used a few times to get out of the wind. A real life saver as others have commented.

I also have a 4 man TN that lives in the boot of my car, as it is not recommended to stay in the vehicle on the hard shoulder of a motorway etc.

Wainers44 01 Mar 2018

instructing or formally leading I make sure a 4 to 6 person shelter is always available, usually carried by the ones I am leading assuming that I am walking with them not remote supervising.

carrying the same shelter when out with my kids or with an informal group has been fantastic at times to give a warm dry lunch on a terrible weather day. Dog loves it as he sits in the middle with all sarnies inches from his nose in all directions!!

I rarely carry one when alone. A bivvy bag is more appropriate.

sleavesley 01 Mar 2018

Terra Nova 4 man. As others have mentioned great for getting out of the wind and a good diversion with the kids. Always in the bag in winter alongside first aid kit.

Dave B 01 Mar 2018

I have two

4 person for the family. lives in bottom of backpack.  (SummitGear.co.uk)

2 person ultra lite. Had this first for when no kids, rarely gets taken out, but will do if its just me or me and my wife. (can't remmeber the brand, but apparently you cold get poles for it, not that we ever have...)

abcdef 01 Mar 2018

Is the TN or Rab superlite 2 person pocket sized? Considered getting one to carry winter climbing - I like the reassurance they suggest.

I do have a 4 person superlite from Summitgear which I carry in the bottom of my sac - they are cheaper than the TN/Rab versions and within a few grams of their weight (but their website displays the 4 person one with the 2 person weight I think - they haven't corrected that since I bought one years ago and pointed it out to them).

I may look at getting a two person AND a 4-6 person one to cover all bases

trouserburp 01 Mar 2018

Got a 4 man. Never used it but experienced the benefits of one during my outdoors first-aid training in a storm (bring it back Woodhead MRT!). Would be a godsend in a bad weather injury situation (for you as well as the casualty)

Quite heavy and a bit of bulk so don't take it everywhere, just remote places or when I know I'm taking out numpties

trouserburp 01 Mar 2018

In retrospect I'd get just a 3 man. Bit smaller, lighter and enough space for a rescuer and 2 casualties whilst your friend goes for help/sits in the rain cos they could've brought their own one

Ridge 01 Mar 2018

Have a 4 man Vango one, which really fits 2 in comfort for a brew. Used once in anger in December 2005, where a combination of it getting misty, then dark, then my navigational ineptitude, led to a pretty miserable night out. Without it things would have been very unpleasant and I'd have had no choice but to call MRT.

Worth every penny.

Post edited at 19:33
 Glyno 01 Mar 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I have a 2 person (it's really a 1 person and a dog size, but that is fine if I am out with my dog!).

I've considered getting a 2 person shelter, is it feasible to use solo?

EarlyBird 01 Mar 2018

I usually carry a Terra Nova 2 person shelter in the winter.

newtonmore 01 Mar 2018

I work as a mountaineering instructor and take one for work, but also with friends when i am out climbing. Hopefully it never has to come out but i really think it could be a life saver, when it come to climbing in the remote corries in Scotland or even the ones close to the road. 

Post edited at 21:19
 Pipecleaner 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Glyno:

Yes, pretty feasible. I have a 2 person Terra Nova.  I usually sit on one side and put my pack where the other person would sit then hold it in place by stretching my legs out.

The least glamorous bit of kit i have but absolutely the one that would make the biggest difference the fastest.  Will never forget testing it in 50mph winds with air temps around -8c.  After a bit of ecxitement getting in without it blowing away I sat eating scones with my gloves off for half an hour.  Astonishing how much of a microclimate there is inside it.

kolkrabe 01 Mar 2018

+1 for the 4 man Vango Storm shelter, carry it most days hillwalking (always in winter). 

Only used it a handful of times (again in winter) and it was a really great escape from the wind and sideways hail! 

girlymonkey 01 Mar 2018
In reply to Glyno:

Yes, just use your rucksack to hold down an edge. It's a little more flappy than a group one with a group in it, but works fine. Better than an Orange bag

Glyno 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Pipecleaner & girlymonkey:

thanks, looks like a straight choice between the Lomo and Summitgear offerings. Any recommendations?

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/emergency-shelter.html

http://www.summitgear.co.uk/product/bothy-bag-2-person/

Ridge 02 Mar 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Yes, just use your rucksack to hold down an edge. It's a little more flappy than a group one with a group in it, but works fine. Better than an Orange bag

One thing I noticed on my misadventure where I spent the night in one. There were high winds and rain/sleet, and where the bag flattened against me, (I had my back to the wind) I started to get really cold.

I ended up wearing my rucksack just to hold the fabric away from me, and that made a big difference.

SouthernSteve 02 Mar 2018

I have 2 a two man one and a 4 man one. We carry one most of the time in the winter after advise from a GL course that they were much more effective than individual bags. They have the advantage that the dog would have some shelter too. In the summer we are usually 'running' and go very much lighter. The weight isn't so bad, but they are quite bulky.

ScraggyGoat 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Glyno:

I've just sold my terra nova 2 bothy, too bulky, to the point I often left it behind and replaced it with a summit gear supralite, which provides the same accommodation size:

http://www.summitgear.co.uk/product/supalite-bothy-bag-2-person/

The difference in bulk and to a lesser degree weight is amazing, the summit supra light 2 will literally fit in a goretex jacket pocket, bumbag ect.  Making it more likely that it will be with you, in the the event you need it. 

benp1 02 Mar 2018

I can't remember which one we have, orange 2 man job, have never used it. It actually lives in the back of the car 

I rarely go out in the hills these days in conditions that might warrant one if I don't already have bivy/camping kit. But I have a few things coming up where it might be handy

abcdef 02 Mar 2018
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Presumably the TN 2 wasn't the superlite one if there was such a big difference? Are you able to confirm if these weights and dimensions are spot-on for the Summitgear?:

"Stuff Bag:  4 cm Diam/6cm long approx

Bothy Bag weight:  235 gm approx"

Am trying to decide which light 2 man to go for, and packed size is probably more important than an extra 20 quid.

TobyA 02 Mar 2018

I've had a 2 man Terra Nova one for at least 15 years (can't actually remember where or when I bought it). It's lighter than the classic 500 gauge orange survival bag that we all used to lug about in the 90s and works for two. No brainer really. Have only used it for lunch shelter myself, but lent it to some friends ages ago who, by the sounds of it, saved the life of their local guide high on Mount Kenya, when he fell and IIRC broke his leg by getting him in it and warmer through a night while someone managed to go and get a rescue organised.

ScraggyGoat 02 Mar 2018
In reply to abcdef:

Can't confirm if they are exactly 'spot on' as haven't measured /weighed, but I have no cause to doubt. Definitely light and small. My TN was the standard version not a superlite.

In terms of design the only real difference is the lack of a window (who cares), and the vent being a small velcro close-able slit in the roof of the summit gear (both good and bad).

cousin nick 02 Mar 2018
In reply to Glyno:

I have the Lomo and very pleased with it. I have several bits of Lomo gear - all well made and good value for money compared with better known brands.

N

Glyno 02 Mar 2018
In reply to cousin nick:

Thanks Nick, I think I'm leaning towards the Lomo

Brass Nipples 02 Mar 2018

Carry a two person one. Great to get warm and out of the weather if you stop for any reason.

jbrom 04 Mar 2018
In reply to Glyno:

This thread has convinced me to get a group shelter. Realistically I think it would be used for eating lunch with the wife in crap weather on the hills and dealing with a casualty whilst cragging/walking ie 2/3 people in an emergency.

After convincing myself that a Vango Storm Shelter 200 would do the trick, I popped to Go Outdoors and they didn't have any in stock, which has opened up the option of ordering online.

Options are:

Vango Storm Shelter 200: 16x22cm pack size. 430g. £23.99

Lomo Emergency Storm Shelter: 10x21cm pack size. 360g. £18.50

Summit Gear Bothy Bag 2 person: 11.5x18cm pack size. 344g. £19.99

Summit Gear Superlite Bothy Bag 2 person: 6x4cm pack size. 235g. £39.9

Currently a choice between the Lomo and the Summit Gear (non superlite) for pack size vs weight.

For my expected use, any recommendations for the Lomo or the Summit Gear?

Thanks

climbwhenready 04 Mar 2018
In reply to jbrom:

As an aside, for eating lunch with the wife comfortably you want something bigger than a 2man (that’s 2 man survival) and the same goes for dealing with a casualty if the cas is not sitting up. 4 man?

In reply to jbrom:

Ive just ordered the 2-3 man LOMO one.

Postage is £4 quid so bear than in mind

nniff 05 Mar 2018

I'd rather have one with a bit of heft.  Last thing you need is some microlight thing that tears itself apart if someone sticks a pole, an axe or a crampon through it.  Mine's about the size of a bag of coffee and reasonably durable (I hope)

Glyno 05 Mar 2018
In reply to nniff:

> I'd rather have one with a bit of heft.  Last thing you need is some microlight thing that tears itself apart if someone sticks a pole, an axe or a crampon through it.

The Lomo one isn't one of the 'ultralight' models.

d_b 05 Mar 2018

They can be awesome for lunch stops if you know it is going to be a horrible day, or sitting out the odd heavy shower.

Fozzy 05 Mar 2018

I've got a Rab 4-6 shelter that I use for hillwalking. Plenty of room for 2, fine for 6. Not so fine when 5 of you are stuck storm-fast in it for 3hrs on the Carneddau and you'd all been out for a curry the night before. 

womblingfree 06 Mar 2018

Does anybody carry both a Group Shelter and a personal emergency boothy bag?

Duplication or different applications?

I have a lightweight wrap around foil blanket as part of my first aid kit and a Group Shelter, and one of these 

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/lifesystems-thermal-bag-E7344039.html?cha... 

Starting to think that and the group shelter is just duplication...

Jasonic 06 Mar 2018
In reply to jbrom:

Have the summitgear but Lomo also looks good- friends have the TN 2 person one & is too small.

Always carry one for any kind of mountaineering- still refer to them as KISU's !

jbrom 06 Mar 2018
In reply to Jasonic:

I have ordered the Lomo 2/3 man one. Seemed to be the best compromise of pack size, internal space, weight and price.

£24.30 including delivery upgrade from 'basic delivery' which was about £1 cheaper.

Will feedback once it arrives.

Glyno 06 Mar 2018

I received a Lomo 2/3 man bothy today.

First impression is that it is really very well made considering the price, and is certainly roomy enough for two people. The vents are a nice touch, as are the windows and reflective patches.

I can see it being ok for solo use (it was fine in the lounge!), though two people would be obviously provide better stability in breezier conditions.

Once out, it's hard to imagine it going back into the stuffsack. It does - no problem, just don't bother folding or rolling - just stuff it all in!

Mine actually weighs 6g less than the stated weight of 360g - bonus!

One definite improvement would be a 'grab handle' or flap of some kind on the bottom of the snug-fitting stuffsack.

Recommended, can't wait to use it.

Post edited at 16:17
 jbrom 07 Mar 2018
In reply to Glyno:

Received my Lomo 2/3 man today. Seems well made, taped seams, drawstring at the base.

Reasonable pack size, could use solo, easy to use as a pair, and at a push could just about accommodate a third person.

Only downsides are that the bag is not attached to the shelter like some, so need to be careful not to loose it in windy conditions. Unlike the video on the website states, the bag does not have a compression strap, although I'm not convinced it'd be any use if it did have one.

It'll definitely be making it into my bag in the future and hopefully the only time I will use it in anger is to stop my sandwiches getting soggy.

Billhook 08 Mar 2018
In reply to jbrom:

You can always get some cord and attach it yourself - I've done that to things like sleeping bags etc.,

Glyno 08 Mar 2018
In reply to Billhook:

I think there's scope for some modifications - I've been thinking of sewing loops/tabs at one end to attach walking poles which could then have cord pegging them to the ground (for solo use).

My Lomo arrived two days ago.... agree about stuff sack needing to be attached.

Other than tgat seems good

Glyno 29 Mar 2018

Used my Lomo shelter yesterday morning to sit out a brief hail storm on Moel Famau. Perfectly usable solo - sipping coffee and peering through the window was most pleasant.

Tringa 30 Mar 2018

I have the Vango 200. I tend to walk alone or with one other so it is ideal. I haven't had to use it yet but for its small size and weighing less than 500g, it is well worth it I think.

Dave

jezb1 30 Mar 2018

I’ve just bought a Summit Supalite, 4 person, 250g and packs tiny. Seems ace.

Pics here: https://www.facebook.com/jbmountainskills/posts/1657949470987164

Post edited at 10:38
 Twlyddon 31 Mar 2018

Yeah do all the time great for making lunch less misserable to administering first aid. Also like the idea of having a form of bivvy thats easy to spot in an emergency. 

As for sizes now most other members of the club have them too so just spread the word and share the weight. 

DaveHK 31 Mar 2018

For the last few years I've just carried an individual survival bag, one of the super light ones from SOL. However, the latest 2 person shelters aren't much heavier so I'd consider that now when winter climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...