Warmest socks for running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 27 Feb 2018

Ok, it's a chilly day, but this happens every time this winter: my feet were warm when  I set off and almost instantly went numb, only thawing out by mile 4. My fingers would do the same but I can wear multiple gloves  whereas trainers are of a finite size.

Suggestions welcome for toasty toes.

climbingpixie 27 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I have some really nice ones from Hangar 18 that are made of alpaca - https://www.h18orr.com/products/h18-orr-sock. They're not cheap but they're very warm and cozy.

SouthernSteve 27 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I think my feet get colder when they are stuffed in thicker socks and then the whole thing is a bit tight, especially around the toes. I have been wearing long, but not particularly thick socks in the winter and that seems to have helped.

kathrync 27 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I always struggle with this - warm feet at the start of a run means overheated feet after mile 4 for me.  I quite often just embrace the cold knowing it will pass for local road runs.  If you really need something warmer, I would agree about not wearing anything that will cause your shoes to be too tight.

LeeWood 27 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Running Bear

http://www.runningbear.co.uk/socks/running-bear/

Post edited at 22:24
OP BusyLizzie 28 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thank you all!

In reply to climbingpixie:

A friend of mine likes alpaca socks for gardening in winter, so I am pleased to find a running version - thank you. I think that's going to be the answer. 

john arran 28 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Why don't you drive to the start of mile 4 and start your run from there?

summo 28 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I see it as a shoe problem. Most shoes are built with mesh ventilation etc for warmer days. Have some winter shoes, they will of course be more off road types that offer various splash proof membranes... etc.. that keep the cold air out. that's the compromise. Keeping legs warm, helps feet too. 

krikoman 28 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

A duvet, is nice, forget running and wrap yourself, and your feet, in a warm duvet.

Mr Fuller 28 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

If it's really cold I'll wear Sealskins. I don't particularly like running in them versus normal socks but they keep any wind and most of the moisture out. For really wet fell runs they're the only thing I can wear to keep any semblance of feeling in my feet. They wear out pretty quickly if you're doing a lot but I only need wear them if it's minging.

In reply to BusyLizzie:

I use rooster neoprene socks when it's cold and wet, wear my innov8 arctic tundra shoes when cold and dry and both combined when really cold, wet and snowy

Rooster are cheaper than sealskinz and more durable.

In reply to john arran:

Awkward if running off road

In reply to summo:

I think you are right about shoes - my trail shoes are warmer ... but less good on roads. Compromise, as you say.

In reply to krikoman:

> A duvet, is nice, forget running and wrap yourself, and your feet, in a warm duvet.

In today's temperatures, and the snow and slippery pavements, you are spot on.

David Riley 28 Feb 2018

With "not cheap" I thought they'd be lots more than £9.  I want some. - thanks, ordered

Post edited at 18:32
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Yes, it doesn't matter how warm the sock is if it's cutting off circulation to the toes. I'd be thinking aerogel insoles and neoprene overshoes, in this weather anyway. 

mbh 28 Feb 2018
In reply to David Riley:

> With "not cheap" I thought they'd be lots more than £9.  I want some. - thanks, ordered

Quite. I want some too.

SouthernSteve 28 Feb 2018
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I have Goretex Speedcross and thin, but warm socks up to my knees - great in a partial blizzard yesterday! My road shoes are a bit tighter and definitely not for the cold - hence my comment. Not sure about the neoprene outers, but in the dark I could definitely go with some 80's leg warmers without embarrassment!

Chris the Tall 28 Feb 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Garburn merino wool

http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/merino-wool-cycing/merinowoolcyclingsocks.htm

I mostly use them for cycling, but they are good for winter running as well

OP BusyLizzie 01 Mar 2018

Alpaca socks ordered; I am going to Spain next week and I think in current conditions nothing short of alpaca socks will lure me back.

Tom Briggs 01 Mar 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I really rate the Inov-8 merino socks. They're not that thick, but I've worn them a lot in wet winter conditions and they're the warmest 'normal' socks I've tried. I've used thicker walking type socks but they absorb too much water.

tlouth7 01 Mar 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I wear Hilly socks, various different ones depending on the weather.

If your feet are getting cold to start with, but then warming up (presumably in line with the rest of your body?) then how about a much more vigorous/extensive warm-up indoors? If you can get your blood properly pumping before you step outside then you should move straight into the 'mile 4' feeling. Plus you don't have to take a cagoule and dump it once you warm up. I don't deny that you feel pretty silly doing lots of star jumps and running up and down the stairs, but worth it for a more enjoyable run.

OP BusyLizzie 01 Mar 2018
In reply to tlouth7:

That is a good thought, I will have a go. NOt today though cos inches of snow outside.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...