possible lost dog st sunday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blackcat 26 Feb 2018

Hi guys, just been on the ground conditions mountains uk facebook site,about reports of a dog barking/howling in the gullys area of st sunday crag on saturday all the details are on there.

broken spectre 26 Feb 2018
In reply to blackcat:

Found this eventually it's in the public group Ground Conditions In UK Mountain Areas on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/345833125602252/permalink/791701587682068/

Post edited at 21:44
 shuffle 26 Feb 2018
In reply to blackcat:

Someone from Patterdale MRT posted to say they'd been out to have a look around the area and not found anything.

Seems quite strange that so many people heard it! 

redsonja 27 Feb 2018
In reply to blackcat:

I heard it howling on sunday when I was walking up to Nethermost pike, but it was hard to tell exactly where it was at-  I thought at first it might have fallen off striding edge, but I couldn't see anything and the noise seemed to be moving around.   It wasn't coming from st sunday crag when I heard it though. It would have been about 8.15am and I heard it for a good hour

Mark Collins 27 Feb 2018
In reply to blackcat:

We came off Fairfield on Saturday and returned to Patterdale via Grisedale, and could see the dog just above the path linking Grisedale Tarn to St. Sunday Crag around 2pm. The barking and howling was very disconcerting but it did not occur to me that it may be guarding its fallen owner and I could see nothing to suggest that. I was with a group inexperienced in winter so didn't want to get involved, but I must admit I was not sure how I could best help in such a situation anyway. I could have potentially brought it down, but then what. I could have taken it home with me two hours drive away, not sure what the cat would have made of it though. Any tips for future occasions would be much appreciated. Looked like a Labradoodle but that’s a bit of guess as it was a way off, certainly light in colouring and that sort of size. I could see people approaching from either end of the path as we walked down but did not see anyone ultimately reach the animal. Apologies for not posting sooner but I have only just been made aware of this thread. Here’s hoping for a good outcome.

Andy Johnson 27 Feb 2018
In reply to Mark Collins:

> Any tips for future occasions would be much appreciated.

Howling tends to indicate distress, and working dogs out with farmers tend to be quiet anyway. If it wasn't possible to investigate safely (and I'm not criticising your decision not to) then I'd probably report it to the local MRT or police.

Post edited at 10:35
 Mark Collins 27 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Thanks for the tip Andy

Andy Johnson 27 Feb 2018
In reply to thommi:

That article is dated last Friday, apparently before the reports in this thread.

redsonja 27 Feb 2018

Yes, that was something different

thommi 27 Feb 2018

Oh, my bad. Sorry. :-/

thommi 27 Feb 2018
In reply to redsonja:

In that case I do hope the dog/s ok... 

GrahamUney 27 Feb 2018
In reply to blackcat:

Patterdale MRT searched the area on Sunday, then were involved in an actual rescue in the same area on Monday. They have found no evidence of a dog in that area.

To be honest, there is a kennels at the bottom of the dale, and the dogs there are always howling. On a very still day such as we had on both days over last weekend, you can easily hear them right up to the top of the valley.

It seems very likely that the dog heard was from the kennels.

Dell 28 Feb 2018
In reply to blackcat:

The dog has been found uninjured, happy days! 

Mark Collins 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Dell:

Great news, thanks for posting  

redsonja 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Dell:

Thanks for letting us know

OP blackcat 28 Feb 2018
In reply to Dell:Cheers for letting us know mate,realy surprised it survived those freezing nights,does anyone know how it actually bacame lost and how it was found.

Post edited at 19:28
 Dell 01 Mar 2018
In reply to blackcat:

> Cheers for letting us know mate,realy surprised it survived those freezing nights,does anyone know how it actually bacame lost and how it was found.

No idea about the dog's story. But I saw a F'book post that said a missing dog was found or had returned home, it matched the description of one that had been seen in that area. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...