Thirlmere Zipline—BMC and Mountain Training Trust

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 navigator 23 Feb 2018

Following the decision by the applicants for the Zipline to withdraw their planning application, the Friends of the Lake District made a Freedom of Information Request which has now been published by the Lake District Nation Park.

Grough has recently published the details of the application process and the opposing and supporting responses.

The following is a quote from the Grough report.

”Among organisations opposing plans were: Friends of the Lake District; Campaign for National Parks; National Trust; Campaign for the Protection of Rural England; Open Spaces Society; Federation of Cumbria Commoners; British Mountaineering Council; Wainwright Society; Ramblers Lake District Area; Achille Ratti Climbing Club; Fylde Mountaineering Club; WalkLakes; Fell and Rock Climbing Club; John Muir Trust; Woodland Trust; Sustainable Keswick; Grasmere Village Society; Dartmoor Preservation Society; North Yorkshire Moors Association and the Wordsworth Trust.

Support for Treetop Trek’s plans came from Cumbria Chamber of Commerce; Lake District Estates, Mountain Training Trust and Plas y Brenin National Mountain Sports Centre and Newlands Activity Centre.”

It is difficult to see how the Mountain Training Trust and Plas y Brenin could support the application, when the BMC and other significant mountaineering bodies decided that they should oppose the proposal. 

I believe that both the MTT and PyB should explain themselves to the mountaineering community as I believe their response seems to be at odds with the thoughts of the wider mountaineering community.

Stewart Mackenzie

Lusk 23 Feb 2018
In reply to navigator:

> It is difficult to see how the Mountain Training Trust and Plas y Brenin could support the application, when the BMC and other significant mountaineering bodies decided that they should oppose the proposal.

I would have thought it's blatantly obvious, the likes of PyB make their living from getting (mostly novice) people out to the countryside?

TXG 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Lusk:

> I would have thought it's blatantly obvious, the likes of PyB make their living from getting (mostly novice) people out to the countryside?

Not so blatantly obvious if the "Countryside" has become a branch of Blackpool Pleasure beach and there's no beauty or tranquillity to justify learning those hill skills for.

bouldery bits 23 Feb 2018
In reply to navigator:

I would like to know their reasoning.

Wainers44 24 Feb 2018
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I would like to know their reasoning.

Same here, I was surprised and disappointed to see their names in support of this. Views of one individual rather than the organisation maybe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...