Charity donations by text

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 22 Feb 2018

I thinking about the ones where you get adverts on the telly telling you to text a certain code to a number to donate £5 or whatever.

I've stopped doing it because I found that when I did I ended up getting a cold call from a chugger trying to put me on a guilt trip so I would set up a direct debit of £10 or £20 a month to such and such a charity. I'm afraid that sort of behaviour just rubs me up the wrong way.

Does anyone else find themselves not donating to appeals they have would have donated to if the charity had just said thanks and left them alone?

Wiley Coyote2 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Charities do seem to like to 'upsell' you once they have your details I used to have a direct debit to Save the Children but it seemed to me that all they used the money for was to bombard me with requests for more. I wrote and said if they did not stop I'd cancel the DD and they left me alone for about 18 months. Then it all started again so I cancelled and told them why.

Also many charities sell your details to other good causes since you've shown yourself to be the compassionate sort of person they want to target.

Removed User 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Yes, after my mother died I spent a few months looking after her house and was amazed at the amount of mail she got from charities.

toad 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Removed User:

For most charities, It isnt about the initial donation. The ONLY reason for these lines is the follow up call and the small percentage of conversions to DD. Selling on is less of an issue these days, but the thing that hacks me off is that for some lines the STOP text to make them go away is a further £5 donation.

I seem to be in motorway services a lot of late so ive been reading the small print in the ads over the urinals

yorkshire_lad2 23 Feb 2018
In reply to toad:

Charities do seem to be big users of junk snail-mail.

I had a similar experience of having to deal with a mountain of charity mailshots after my Mum died.  However, in fairness to the charities, a quick e-mail (usually with a scan of the letter attached) to the charity would get the junk mail stopped (no charity wants to be the one that keeps mailing a dead person for donations).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...