Rab Alpha Flux

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tcb 21 Feb 2018

Has anyone tried the Rab Alpha Flux as a mid layer for Scottish winter climbing, possibly over a Rab Baseline jacket and under a hard shell? Failing that, any recommendations for the mid layer?

Climber Phil 21 Feb 2018
In reply to tcb:I’ve got both the flux and the alpha direct and I prefer the alpha direct as a mid/outer layer 

elliptic 22 Feb 2018
In reply to tcb:

I've got a Flux and I wear it over a medium base layer with hardshell over the top (and then belay jacket for standing around).  It's sized for a reasonably snug fit and for me the point of it is the high wicking / low bulk combination - not sure I'd want it over another full weight fleece like the Baseline which would kind of defeat that object. For a "booster" layer that you might also want to use as a light outer shell I'd agree its the Alpha Direct you want.

rockettman 22 Feb 2018
In reply to tcb:

I agree with elliptic, the Baseline and Alpha flux would definitely be too warm together. Both jackets have under helmet hoods which could make things a bit bulky.

In winter I have been wearing it with a Flux Pull-On as my base layer (Mid weight Base layer with extra-long sleeves and thumb loops). My outer layer has been the Alpha Flux when not windy. When windy I use a Vaporise Alpine Jacket (Softshell) over top the Alpha Flux. Both jackets have similar levels of high breathability, low wind resistance, thinness and when combined offer just enough wind resistance and warmth while remaining highly breathable while moving. In warmer conditions 10°C+ the Alpha Flux provided me enough warmth and wind resistance on its own.

In summary I have found that the Alpha Flux is:

-very breathable and dries almost instantly if you forget to take off a layer.

-extra-long sleeves with thumb loops so they will never ride up unless you want them too.

-very thin layer and slim hugging fit, nice warm balaclava style hood.

-very good for cycling, running, hiking with the occasional scramble.        

The only downside I have found with the jacket is durability. The jacket is very lightweight and therefore not the most durable. If you are going be smashing the jacket against rocks when you’re wearing it as an outer layer you will definitely need to stitch/patch it. It seems to be fine when underneath a Softshell. I have had to sow a couple of patches on my jackets elbows after an epic =p.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...