Alpkit-Qark Headtorch-Any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MONONOKE 20 Feb 2018

Need a new headtorch and I was thinking of getting a petzl reactik which i know is pretty good. Anyway I've done a little bit of research and found the Alpkit Quark. The price obviously is really tempting compare to petzl. Anyone has any recommendation?

Thanks

In reply to MONONOKE:

I chose between the same two torches, and opted for the Alpkit.

I have no complaints; it's a great lamp at a great price. I've had it out for days without charging, no problem, and at full brightness it can light up an entire pitch.

Downsides; it's not as intelligent as the Petzl - the 'wave to switch on/off' function activates if you wipe your brow, adjust your helmet, or walk under a low branch. Which is funny the first time, annoying the second, and switched off the third. Also, I've found the rear battery pack can end up sitting lightly on my ears, rather than clamped around my head. Not a problem for climbing, but you might prefer the compactness of the Petzl if using the torch for running.

Hope that helps

yoshis1220 21 Feb 2018
In reply to MONONOKE:

i have this headtorch and it’s my main torch for technical trail running as it’s pretty darn bright and wasn’t that expensive in comparison to many others of the same brightness.

it does drop down when running. However this can be solved by either 

1 - wearing a hat and the torch over the top.

2- creating a over the head strap out of some accessory cord (which works a treat) 

Battery life is excellent and it gives the reactive petal thing my mate has a good run for its money and was about a third of the price! 

Hope this helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...