Tips for painful seams in new shoes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Howdy all. Bit of a dilemma - I live in South America where the climbing gear is super expensive, so I purchased a new pair of Five Ten Blackwings online and had a work colleague bring them back home with her from the States. They fit pretty great, but the right foot has a badly glued crease/fold right on my big toe where I already have a hotspot, making it pretty painful. As I don't have much of an option with regard to sending them back, does anyone have any tips on how I could smooth this out as to make it less painful? It's doesn't protrude a great deal into the shoe but it feels very sharp against the already sensitive part of my toe. Any help or ideas greatly appreciated!

Jenny C 20 Feb 2018
In reply to michaelofthegraham:

Back of a spoon and gently rub against the steam to try and flatten the stitching into the material.

Short length of finger tape on the back of the heal whilst waiting for the shoe to soften through use. 

HeMa 20 Feb 2018

Soak shoes in warm and then put yer feet in. Keep until the pain is too strong or water is cold. Repeat. 

Oh and wear thin socks. You really don’t loose any sensitivity by that (well, not sub F8B or so, so pretty darn hard) and on the plus side, the actual shoe won’t reek of death After a few sessions. 

It's actually not a seam, but it appears to be where they have made a liitel crease/fold in the upper when they have glued the rubber on. Not sure of this would make any difference but every wee detail might just count! :p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...