Sleeping bag for Cordillera Blanca in June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lieven De Vlaminck 20 Feb 2018

Heading for Cordillera Blanca in June, planning to tackle some 6k peaks. I'm doubting which sleeping bag to buy, a 600 or 800 down fill power (probably Rab Summit 600 or 800). Apart from being lighter and smaller, I guess a 600 would also be more versatile for future trips. I'm not the warmest sleeper though, and I wonder if I'll regret not going for an 800 and just suck up the extra weight and bulk.

Any experiences? No idea how cold it gets in Cordillera Blanca.

Cheers,

Lieven.

Swampi 20 Feb 2018
In reply to Lieven De Vlaminck:

Hi Lieven,

I would recommend going with a 800 fill bag if you're not the warmest sleeper. Last July I had a 600 fill bag and at the high camps found I needed to wear clothes, make a hot water bottle, use a down jacket as a blanket and have a good down filled exped mat to sleep well.

However, you're right a 600 fill is a great all rounder.

Adam

Smythson 20 Feb 2018

I was there in July. Go 600 with a sea to summit thermo reactor liner to bolster it. There are a range of warmths to choose from. You then have an all round bag and the reactor if you need it. Weight wise the reactor works out about the same for weight per degree warmth. 

Safe travels,

S

stratandrew 20 Feb 2018

In the Blanca in 2014 I used an alpkit pipedream 800 with a silk liner and on the coldest nights wore thermals and a hat and cheapo down bed booties I'd bought in Kathmandu. Most nights were at base camp heights of 4150 to 4350. Some nights at 4850 or so. I was never cold sleeping just sitting around! I reckon the alpkit bag is probably about the same as the summit 600 in spec, they have renamed it now I think it is the alpine 800.

I would second the idea of a really good liner. The sea to summit thermolite range have a great rep, I'm about to get one myself.

Where are you thinking of going? I can send you some research if you like.

CliffPowys 20 Feb 2018

June will be fairly cool. However to some extent it depends on what you are going to do.

The Garganta camp on Huascaran is at 6000m and is a seriously cold place. On the other hand the camp on Tocllaraju is at c5000m and less of an issue. The valley base camps at c4000m are usually relatively mild.

The combination of a 600 bag and a good quality liner, say +5, is certainly the most flexible option but if you really feel the cold and you want to go as high as possible then I think that an 800 bag is the best bet.

I use either my 600 or my 800 bag depending on the trip. Having both is an expensive option but if you want to do a lot of high altitude and alpine climbing then IMO it is essential to have both weights of bag. For a one-off the 600 bag and the liner make better sense.

You also need good ground insulation. For 5000 to 6000m camps I use a full length Z-Lite pad with a short Thermarest pad on top. A cheaper alternative for a one-off trip is to use a 4/5mm carpet underlay pad beneath the Thermarest. You can buy the underlay in Huaraz.

Regards and Good Luck, Cliff.

caminoaustral 21 Feb 2018

june 1996 glacier on huayna potosi and remember feeling very cold in my 800 fill bag, though it was -25...

JMarkW 25 Feb 2018

I had a night at the Garganta at 6000m. Windy and freezing . 5 season coleman down bag, my rab down jacket and all my clothes . Had the inner boots on from my Scarva Vegas 

Didn't get a wink.

Failed on summit next day, though I am soft...

Cheers Mark

Deadeye 25 Feb 2018

Everyone seems different when it comes to this issue.

I always have hot feet - no need for down booties, I stick them out mostly and so always have zipped bags, which I often open out and use as a duvet.  My hips get cold and my shoulders (I am quite tall so if I do up the drawstring at the top I feel throttled.

Solutions to-date are a really good mat, a very warm and very comfortable hat/neck combo.

From what you've written, I'd go 600 plus a liner.

I had a 4 season when I went to the blanca.  also, new bags are always warmer than when they've done a few seasons.

Lieven De Vlaminck 26 Feb 2018

Thanks for all the useful info, really great help. I ended up ordering a Mountain Equipment Glacier 700, which seems to have a 700 fill but spec-wise leans towards an 800. Should be toasty =)

Thanks again!

Lieven.

Mountain Llama 26 Feb 2018

Make sure you think about your mat as well, you can lose a great deal of heat to the ground.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...