Are LS/Scarpa boots at Decathlon the real thing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cb294 13 Feb 2018

As per the title,

are Scarpa boots sold at Decathlon EXACTLY the same model as sold elsewhere, or are they a slightly cheaper, lower spec version specifically made for Decathlon?

A few weeks ago looked at a pair of LS Nepal Evos at my local Decathlon shop, and was not quite sure whether they were the same as my own pair bought at my regular, local independent.

I therefore hesitate to buy a pair of Scarpa Triolets for my son at Decathlon. I would normally not mind to spend some extra money and buy a decent pair of boots from my local independent store.

However, my son will as usual grow out of these boots in a few months, which is why I am in this case not too keen to spend any more than I absolutely have to!

Thanks,

CB

dilatory 13 Feb 2018
In reply to cb294:

If you look  carefully at the label you'll see they say "Scanpa" and "La Spontiva". They're sneaky fakes, not sure how they get away with it.

Mal Grey 13 Feb 2018
In reply to cb294:

Decathlon are a reputable major international retailer, and won't be breaking any trades description rules. Whilst they predominantly sell their own brands, they do stock other quality brands, usually to sit just above their own. I saw Petzl, Salomon and Meindl in one the other day.

It is quite possible that some of these will be specced specifically for Decathlon, however I would have thought they would have to give these a different name - no way Scarpa would want them to have lesser product under the same name as their main ranges. So my own thought is that if the name is exactly the same, same product. If is a small difference in the name, eg extra part to it or something, it may be a variation. 

wbo 13 Feb 2018
In reply to cb294:they've looked the real deal to me.  I imagine it's stuff LS and Scarpa can't shift

Stopsy 13 Feb 2018
In reply to cb294:

I bought a pair of the Triolet's last year and they've held up fine so far, only slight issue with rubbing on ankle bone, but that was solved by using some superfeet with them.

Currently mainly winter use, easy mountaineering routes up to grade III, and some long-ish walk in's to Garbh Corrie.

cb294 13 Feb 2018
In reply to Stopsy and everyone else:

Thanks for the info! I guess I will pick up a pair of Triolets on Friday, see how long they will fit. The good bit is that I can then inherit them from my son when he grows out of them!

CB

Jim 1003 16 Feb 2018
In reply to cb294:

You can return to Decathlon for 12 months, try that at Needle sports or any other shop after you've used boots for a year!

The New NickB 16 Feb 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

> You can return to Decathlon for 12 months, try that at Needle sports or any other shop after you've used boots for a year!

Only if there is something wrong with them. You should be able to do that at other shops as well.

thepodge 16 Feb 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

You can return UNUSED stuff for 12 months, most places it's only 28 days. You can return warranty stuff within the warranty period. 

leland stamper 16 Feb 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

>You can return to Decathlon for 12 months, try that at Needle sports or any other shop after you've used boots for a year!

I took a pair of Scarpa walking boots to The Gorge Outdoors in Cheddar, after 12 months use and complained they were leaking. I explained I had bought them at Cotswold Outdoors. Gorge Outdoors happily posted them off to Scarpa and then chased the company up when they did not reply after a couple of weeks. A week later they had a new pair of boots for me which are still not leaking after 18 months solid use. Nobody asked for proof of purchase, etc. Try that at Decathlon or Go Outdoors.

Post edited at 18:25
 leon 1 16 Feb 2018
In reply to cb294:the triolets are a discontinued boot in Europe so decathlon probably got them at a discounted price, same with the sportiva trangos that they have. The boots are absolutely legit. Check the fit of the triolets as it is different last to charmoz although they look very similar boots 

Cotswold offer a two year warranty on all their boots if you have one of their store cards

Post edited at 18:44
cb294 17 Feb 2018
In reply to leon 1:

Thanks!

CB

Jim 1003 05 Mar 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

> Only if there is something wrong with them. You should be able to do that at other shops as well.

Wrong, I've taken 2 pairs back with no probs, just because I didn't like them and had used them....

The New NickB 05 Mar 2018
In reply to Jim 1003:

> Wrong, I've taken 2 pairs back with no probs, just because I didn't like them and had used them....

That is at odds with their published policy, so it is likely that you got lucky.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/decathlon-return-policy.html

I’ve had problems returning some faulty trail shoes, sorted eventually, but problematic in store, so they make mistakes in favour of the customer and against.

nniff 06 Mar 2018
In reply to cb294:

Never had a problem at Decathlon - changed something that was clearly very, very well worn but with a bit that was delaminating without any question.  All the labels had been removed, no receipt, no question.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...