Options in glen Coe / Ben Nevis for this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 twm.bwen 07 Feb 2018

Typical, as we approach the first weekend I'm free to do something winters inscotland (9 hr drive each way!) since having kids the weather forecast is looking nasty.

The aim had been to do aonach eagach but the winds look too high.

considering there has been a steady amount of snow and mainly sub zero I'm figuring there hasn't been enough freeze thaw cycles and likely to be a fair whack of powder.

assuming you agree aonach eagach is off, what other suggestions would likely be safer in higher winds.

im thinking CMD arête, golden oldie on aonach mor (is it known for cornices?) 

any ideas or do you think aonach eagach is still an option?

many thanks in advance for your input.

LakesWinter 07 Feb 2018
In reply to twm.bwen:

If the gondola runs golden oldy would be fine re cornices as it rarely if ever has one

drunken monkey 07 Feb 2018
In reply to twm.bwen:

If it going to be windy as heck as suggested (50-70mph S-SW winds) then the CMD arête probably wont be much fun either.

Sron na Lairig on Stob Coire Sgreamach maybe?

http://scottishwinterroutes.com/sronnalairig.htm

In reply to twm.bwen:

Just done the east ridge on Beinn a Chaorainn today. Should be sheltered from SW but descent would be a bit wild and windy.

Kid Spatula 08 Feb 2018
In reply to twm.bwen:

Same here! Have a friend driving up from Leeds and it looks horrid. Plan was for Ledge Route, which may still be okay with the number 5 gully dodge. Suspect it may be Carn Dearg Meadhonach East Ridge now. Will be hideous up top.

Simon Caldwell 08 Feb 2018
In reply to twm.bwen:

Head east instead? Sounds slightly less minging.

OP twm.bwen 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell: Would be an option but the guys I'm going with have booked a cottage for a week in glen Coe.

Weather is looking better as each day goes past. We are thinking of heading west to east instead, is the a reason everyone seems to do east to west on aonach eagach?

thanks all for the suggestions!

Tom Last 08 Feb 2018
In reply to twm.bwen:

Obviously not advisable in those sorts of winds if they come to pass, but Aonach Eagach was in great condition yesterday. Weather seemed a couple of degrees below in SCNL today with not much fresh snow so doubt the AE would have changed that much. 

Hope the wind allows you to get on something. 

Simon Caldwell 09 Feb 2018
In reply to twm.bwen:

Might be worth going up for a look, we did it a few years ago when gales were forecast, and friends retreated from Bidean due to the winds, but we were somehow sheltered (probably by Bidean but can;t remember what the wind direction was) and hardly had any wind at all.

Should be obvious when you reach the ridge whether it's too blowy to continue!

Post edited at 09:31
 drunken monkey 09 Feb 2018
In reply to twm.bwen: IIRC (Its been a few years since I did the AE West > East) its slightly easier this way technically as your going up the steep slabby descent off Am Bodach rather than down it.

Downside is you've got about a 200m bigger pull up from the road at the start of the day.

OP twm.bwen 09 Feb 2018
In reply to drunken monkey:

Thanks people, sound advice.

Has anyone been up today?

Forecast is improving with winds around 30mph from 9 with clearer skies. We are thinking that west to east is on so we're not going into the wind. By the time we are at stob coire leith we'll have a better idea. Nowt wrong with heading back down to the clachaig for first orders!!

Billhook 09 Feb 2018
In reply to twm.bwen:

30 mph hour isn't exactly inclement in Scotland and wouldn't put most folk off.

Michael Gordon 10 Feb 2018
In reply to twm.bwen:

Have fun. Whatever the wind may turn out like, personally I'd want a better day for the Aonach Eagach (i.e. some views!), but maybe it won't be as bad as forecast.

bonebag 10 Feb 2018
In reply to twm.bwen:

We did The Dragons Tooth yesterday on Sgorr Dhonuill. Lots of powder high up and some good cornices leading to the summit. One short abseil part way along the ridge. So a good day out in good weather. Not sure what it would be like in strong winds but could retreat. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...