Fingers in mitts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 angry pirate 02 Feb 2018

I've noticed a trend recently in a few pairs of winter mitts (Rab and a few others) to include separate finger sleeves inside the mitt outer to "increase dexterity" while wearing them.

To my mind, this defeats the purpose of mitts which is to share the warmth between fingers and is the major plus over gloves. That and they are much easier to lob on cold, wet hands than gloves are.

Having not actually used them, I don't know whether these finger pockets actually make a difference to the warmth or convenience or whether I'm overreacting.

Any feedback from users?

The Potato 02 Feb 2018
In reply to angry pirate:

Ive got some Planet X crab hand mitts, very similar to regular mitts but with split fingers for using bike brakes, but the index and middle finger have separate sleeve inside. ive not noticed them being any less warm than any other mitts, I do think they add a bit to the dexterity though. I think that the fabric is thin enough to transmit heat so as not to affect the inner temperature. Normal gloves insulate the fingers from each other completely.

plyometrics 02 Feb 2018

As a Raynauds sufferer I completely agree. ‘Mitts’ with fingers inside are a nonsense. 

I've got a pair of Rab Summit Mitts, great apart from the finger pockets! 

These are Rabs take on Outdoor Designs Summit Inferno, which were the best belay mitts out there, affordable too. Due to the finger pockets, they are very difficult to get on over gloves, really disappointed with them!

Stuart

OP angry pirate 02 Feb 2018

I'm glad you guys agree. I only chuck mitts on for belays or descending in buff conditions and warmth & ease of chucking on > dexterity every time. It looks like a marketing gimmick to me rather than answering a need addressed by current designs. I've tried a few new mitts recently and they all seem to adopt a similar design (except for some expensive Arcteryx ones that I'm nowhere near cool enough to wear )

Iain Thow 03 Feb 2018

Couldn't agree more, been a bugbear of mine for a year or two now, it defeats the object of mitts to my mind for exactly the reasons you say. Most of our shop customers don't like them either, though one rep claimed that their sales went up when they added them - certainly not true for us.

I currently use ME Mountain Mitts which don't have them in and have been pretty good so far.

Post edited at 10:05
 Brass Nipples 03 Feb 2018

Mitts should not have finger seperation. They have missed the point.

Removed User 04 Feb 2018

Been searching for decent mitts for a while until I found The Heat Company.

I've been using their shell mitts in -10 to -20 in Norway with strong winds both out at sea and on the mountain and they have been amazing. These take a sort of opposite approach - you can wear regular gloves or liners and then throw the mitt on over the top. You can then unzip the palm and fold the top of the mitt back secured by magnets, exposing your gloved fingers (used with Arcteryx Alpha MXs).

They're incredibly warm, although they are HUGE. You can definitely wear them without glove/liner but I haven't noticed any issues with warmth when zipped up either way. I've even found unzipping the palm and poking my fingers out but leaving the loose flap covering the backs of fingers a great compromise as it protects from wind and cold extremely well but you keep all the dexterity of bare or thin-gloved fingers. Even found my hands getting too hot when idling and using the zip to dump heat. 

Only downside is they're bloody expensive.

Lucy Wallace 04 Feb 2018

Eh?  I've not seen these but its been a while since I went glove shopping. Does that mean you can't shove them on easily over a pair of gloves? Cos thats pretty much the only time I wear my mitts- to ram them over my gloves on belays, so wouldn't work for me. 

girlymonkey 04 Feb 2018

This style of mitts is my absolute favourite! I can fit snow chains, crampons, tie knots etc while wearing them. They are toasty warm. I think they are warmer than normal mitts.

Reading others' comments, it sounds like I use mitts differently. I don't want them to shove on over gloves for the odd occasion. I put them on at the start of the day and don't take them off!

Post edited at 18:44
 Andy Hardy 04 Feb 2018
In reply to Removed UserRemoved User:

If they have magnetic fasteners they could affect compasses, which would be a pretty big downside to me! (unless you have to take the mitt off to use the compass anyway)

Removed User 06 Feb 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Can confirm they do affect compasses sadly.

OP angry pirate 06 Feb 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

As a glove junkie, I tend to use a pair of warmish gloves for most tasks as they are generally warm enough and switch to mitts for belays or descents. No matter how dextrous the mitt, i can't grip the the head of an ice axe as well as I can with a glove. 

For summer wet weather I do use an unlined shell mitt for walking but I'm not knot tying etc.

girlymonkey 06 Feb 2018

I'm one of those shivery types so have decided winter climbing is not for me, and instead I ski tour for winter fun. 

If I can't keep mittens on for any activity in winter then I'm not interested in that activity! Dexterity is very important for me. But I genuinely feel that these are warmer than normal mitts too as well as being hugely more pleasant to wear.

jonnie3430 07 Feb 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Have you seen that snowshepherd are doing leather ski mitts? They look good, but haven't tried yet as still trying to wear out my venitex gloves. http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Sh... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...