Your opinion on Crux + tent and rucksack wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
NatureBliss 31 Jan 2018

Hi,

I hope I could get some helpful advice about Crux items - what is your general opinion on this brand? Are they worth the money, does the quality match the price tag? I am particularly interested in their one-person tent, X1 Assault, and the 3G AK47 rucksack, and I was actually wondering if anyone have these for sale as used?

Any advice on the brand itself and offers if you have above-mentioned 2 products would be much appreciated. 

Please get in touch, thank you.

Agota

Post edited at 19:31
 atrendall 31 Jan 2018
In reply to NatureBliss:

Top brand and all products seem bomb proof and simple. Can't fault anything I have used. Still using an AK50 their original rucksack, I believe, and predecessor of AK47. This gets used almost daily in the Cuillin with rough gabbros and used for carrying loads of gear and camera/tripod etc and has really ben abused and although it shows signs of wear it still performs faultlessly. Can't comment on more recent models but they look to be a similar bombproof, simple design with no frills that add weight etc. I know they are expensive but given that I've had it since about 2003 (3) per annum cost isn't much so you pay for what you get.

Also got a Torq jacket and Halo insulated top and both are great although have to admit these were bought at eBay bargain prices.

Seems to be a nice small company with good response to customer queries and problems.

kipman725 01 Feb 2018
In reply to NatureBliss:

I have an X1 raid a event smock and a AK47-x 2nd generation.  The X1 raid is amazing and unlike any other tent.  It is made of a fabric similar to a breathable jacket with a flocked fabric bonded to the inside.  This means that condensation evaporates through the tent.  Its a single skin tent that works in UK conditions (I use it for mountain marathons as well as alpine/expedition).  The AK47 is probably the best bag of its size but does have some flaws including durability issues; the valance at the top is made of far too thin fabric and one of the straps came off mine, also the ice axe holders are rubbish for curved tools.  Crux however were very good about repairing the strap.  Looking at the new version they seem to have fixed the problems.   The event smock is super cool, it has a dry suit zip that you can actually use with gloves and is very tough.   However the big problem for me is the price of all their kit, I have only purchased it 2nd hand or in end of line super sales.  I cannot justify £300 for a bag...

Pkrynicki1984 01 Feb 2018
In reply to NatureBliss:

I got an AX45 bag for my girlfriend , I have 3 osprey bags myself and materials wise etc it seems spot on, how it will handle the abuse remains to be seen, not had it for long enough but very impressed so far.

Tony & Sarah 01 Feb 2018
In reply to NatureBliss:

I have an AK37 & Tony has an AK47, we think there are excellent, extremely well made, the only downside is the lack of an interior lid pocket.

Sarah

In reply to NatureBliss:

+1 for this single skin fabric. I have the X1 Assault, and I find condensation to be managed brilliantly by the activated carbon on the inside of the flysheet. The tent is fairly easy to pitch in a gale and there's no problem pitching it in the rain either. Three small issues though: 1: The tape gluing the mesh pockets to the flysheet doesn't last normal use and began peeling off in the corners from day one. 2: The roof vent can't be completely sealed off. You can try and close the vent from the outside by bending the wire, but in a blizzard spindrift will find its way in through the mesh. 3: The inner entrance door is made from white polyester and the porch is made of translucent white cuben fiber, and when sleeping under the midnight sun, the inside can be very bright, especially when the tent opening is facing towards the sun. I intend to dye the entrance door, but haven't gotten to figure out a suitable method.

kipman725 02 Feb 2018
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

The vent can't be closed because the tent is near air tight! 

In reply to kipman725:

Not true for the X1 Assault as it has mesh in the upper quarter of the door.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...