Great Scottish ice climbing trousers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mountain love 30 Jan 2018

Hi there all,

I'm looking for your favorite ice climbing trousers! Mine need replacement, so looking for inspiration here

Ideally, they have:
- a slim fit around the legs (I'm not going skiing!)
- Keprotec patches against crampon and screw abrasion
- a shortish inseam
- one or two pockets
- long side zips
- weigh less than 500 grams
- cost less than 400 pounds
- nice to have: drop seat
- nice to have: suspenders

Currently looking at:
- Mountain Equipment Tupilak (bit heavy)
- Mammut Nordwand (damned expensive)
- Arcteryx Alpha Comp (softshell/GTX combi, stands up against Scottish conditions??)
- Montane Fast Alpine Neo (heavy, don't need bib)

Open to suggestions... shoot!

Cheers!

Al_Mac 30 Jan 2018
In reply to mountain love:

I've got a pair of the Alpha Comp's and do like them. However, the softshell parts are VERY thin and snagging crampon points puts holes in them quickly. They're also literally a thin shell; you'll want some warm layers underneath. That said the hardshell parts have so far proven very hardwearing. They're also devoid of inbuilt gators which may or may not be a good thing in your eyes. It's definitely not a positive for me! Good but flawed I'd say.

TobyA 30 Jan 2018

Do these fit most of those criteria? https://www.jottnar.com/uk/mens/legwear/vanir-lt-hardshell-pants I've got the bib version and they are jolly good - nice slim legs with a good keprotec protection at the ankle https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/reviews/clothing_-_mountain/jottnar_bergelm...

edunn 30 Jan 2018

These: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-alpinism-pant-id_8010075.html

The only thing they don't satisfy is the weight limit, but that is more than compensated for by how cheap, hard-wearing and frikkin awesome they are.

jethro kiernan 30 Jan 2018

Alpha comps okay in wales so far, the lack gaiter was a problem but an elasticated cord attached to the trousers and under the instep sorted it, I would have been a little disappointed if I had paid full price and had to do my own bodge, worn with a merino leggings suits me. 

HimTiggins 31 Jan 2018

Berghaus Oktang for £150 on sportpursuit. Bargain! Also another vote for the decathlon Simmond softshell trousers.

Bezz 31 Jan 2018

second vote for Jottnar vanir - although they don't strictly meet your critera I bought some used on here and they were faultless on my recent ice trip to Cogne

joe.91 31 Jan 2018
In reply to lberry:

Third opinion on Jottnar, simply amazing. Good vents to allow warm walk in's and lovely to climb in, forget they're there. I have the bibs which have useful pockets on the chest for avi transceivers and phones to keep them warm.  

Samseabass 01 Feb 2018
In reply to HimTiggins:

Got some of those. 150 for goretex pro bibs! Did me well recently in full Scottish winter as well as 4 days ice climbing in the alps. 

Neil Morrison 01 Feb 2018
In reply to edunn: seconded these are brilliant and so hard wearing. 

kermit_uk 01 Feb 2018

I often think about this.

I have a pair of Adidas trousers. I think officially ski pants but they are amazing. I got them a few years back for £40 on sports direct website. RRP was £200.

For me they are the almost the perfect Scottish winter trouser. 

Softshell material but taped seams and fully waterproof. So hard wearing and warm enough with just a pair of helly dry leggings underneath. 3/4 length two way venting side zips so easy to dump heat.

A good amount of stretch in them so don't restrict movement at all.

Came with braces tho I don't use them.

Built in gaiters.

Two zipped hand pockets.

Good ankle protection.

Only issue is they are a touch short in the leg for me so run them over a pair of goretex gaiters. My mate also got a pair and wears them on their own.

Also no one makes something that's the same. Closest I can see is the jottnar but very expensive and don't do a long leg. 

I really think they are about perfect for Scottish winter and wish someone would make a copy. 

Col Kingshott 01 Feb 2018

Hi,

I have the Mammut Nordwands and love them  if you shop around you can get them for a decent price as well. I’ve had 3 pairs of them now and each pair have been a little better than the last, with slight design changes and different fabrics. You won’t be disappointed.

Col.

Post edited at 22:40
 edunn 02 Feb 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

Ah, thank you. Good to see they've got poppers round the ankle - always thought that was missing on the old pair.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...