Softshell Recommendation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drmarten 28 Jan 2018

Softshell recommendation wanted please.

I'm looking for a softshell for walking/climbing in Scotland and for winter use more than summer. I have a Paclite for going over the top if it rains and can layer underneath as required.

I'd like the following :

Hood to fit over a helmet.

Two external chest pockets, reasonably sized.

Fairly large drop in pockets inside.

Pit zips

Two way front zip with storm flap.

All zips to be glove friendly.

Windproof, water repellent fabric.

Obviously some jackets have some of the above but I can't find one that has them all, anybody know of such a jacket? 

Post edited at 13:34
 Shaneclimbing 28 Jan 2018
In reply to drmarten:

The Mountain Equipment Vulcan is pretty close to your spec.

Rab Vapour-rise Guide also a contender. 

drmarten 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Shaneclimbing:

Thanks, I'll have a look at the ME jacket, I don't think I've seen that one, and I'll have another look at the Vapour-rise Guide - I can't remember why I've ruled that out  

PPP 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Shaneclimbing:

I bought ME Vulcan for mountain use. Has been my walk-to-work jacket after few uses. Far too sweaty and warm for me, but I tend to run hot. 

olddirtydoggy 28 Jan 2018
In reply to drmarten:

The Vulcan is a heavy one, my wife uses one but loves it. Rab's VR has 2 pockets but check the sizing, I find the arms long on their stuff.

In reply to drmarten:

I use the RAB Baltoro Guide for Winter. It's not perfect but as a heavier weight option it's pretty close. 

I'm not sure whether RAB are still making them. No pit zips but can't say I miss them.

davebryan1970 28 Jan 2018
In reply to drmarten:

ME Vulcan, a great jacket and currently half price at Needlesport at the moment which is a great deal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...