Siurana Guidebook, Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rebeccafraley 23 Jan 2018

Hi all! An identical discussion was posted a year ago on the same topic but I had a few additional questions. I'm going to Siurana in late March and needed to purchase a guidebook.

I read on the other discussion post that people recommend the "Tarragona Climbs" guidebook for Siurana. I searched for the Tarragona Climbs guidebook and saw that they announced a 2018 publication of it? But there is also a 2017 edition for sale online, while I can't find a 2018 edition for sale... 

Any comments? Should I buy the 2012 edition when I arrive in Siurana (because it is $100 online, very expensive)? Or do any of you recommend the 2017 Tarragona Climbs (2nd edition)? 

Here is a link to the 2017 version/2nd edition I am thinking I should buy: https://www.cordee.co.uk/TARRAGONA-CLIMBS----CATALUNYA-det-1-96-1-14900.htm...

Thanks!!

Post edited at 01:31
 humptydumpty 23 Jan 2018
In reply to rebeccafraley:

2017 addition is 30 € in Goma II in Cornudella de Montsant.  Not sure why you'd buy the 2012 edition.

LeeWood 23 Jan 2018

Sales are likely to have greater turnover in/around Cornudella so I reckon your best chance to get the latest rev will be there - will take longer to filter through to shops abroad

zv 23 Jan 2018

They published a new guide last year. You can get it straight from Camping Siurana. It's about 20 euros there and I think it's an improvement from the old version. Still a lot of development going on. Last summer Toni Arbones opened up a whole new shady crag in the village after the guide was published.

There is also a pretty up-to-date Siurana guide on the Rockfax App if you have an iOS device.

£5.99 for just Siurana or £9.99 if you want the current Catalunya package which also includes a selection of crags around Barcelona, Montgrony, Terradets, Cubells, Ager and Vilanova de Meia.

More here - https://www.rockfax.com/publications/rockfax-app/

Alan

john arran 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> There is also a pretty up-to-date Siurana guide on the Rockfax App if you have an iOS device.

Quite a big "if" there, Alan!

Ciro 23 Jan 2018

How long are you going for, and are you planning to move around? 

The Tarragona Climbs is a great guidebook if you're going to spend time at other crags in the area, Raco de misa at montsant is particularly worth a visit, but it's obviously not that comprehensive for the big crags so if you're looking to spend considerable time in Siurana you'll want the Siurana guide. 

Ian Patterson 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Ciro:

> The Tarragona Climbs is a great guidebook if you're going to spend time at other crags in the area, Raco de misa at montsant is particularly worth a visit, but it's obviously not that comprehensive for the big crags so if you're looking to spend considerable time in Siurana you'll want the Siurana guide. 

Not sure about that - Tarragona Climbs gives pretty good coverage for Siurana and Arboli and includes most (if not all) of the main sectors, you've have to be there for a very long time to run out of routes.   Coverage of Margalef is less complete and there's some significant crags which aren't included, but still lots of major sectors and lots of routes meaning it will work for most people unless you've got a very long trip or multiple visits.  

On publishing dates I have the 2017 version (having abandoned the 2012 edition at El Falco!) and it's great - I believe it sold out at the end of the year so was being reprinted which is why you may see some confusion around 2017/2018.

Pete O'Donovan 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Ian Patterson:

Just to sort out the confusion, the second edition of Tarragona Climbs was originally released in early September 2017, but the printer — MCC Graphics in Bilbao — made such a mess of it that 90% of copies were unsaleable. The faults centered around incorrect page trimming and folding as well as excess glue and creasing along the spines of most books. A very small number of copies made into circulation.

We then began work with a different printer and, after some unforeseen delays, the new run of books (featuring exactly the same content) went on general sale at the beginning of this year.

Pete.

Murcantile 23 Jan 2018

Buy it out there, puts money into local economy, or don't

Plus get the one with hand drawn pictures its the most amazing guidebook I have ever seen! stick it on the coffee table to drool over for years to come

This one

https://www.cordee.co.uk/CCE401.php

I think the one you are looking at is recommended for including Margalef and other but if you only going to Siurana the hand drawn one is the one to get, they have a copy in the climbers shop which they update with new routes you can go in and copy them in if you want 

Post edited at 19:52
 Ciro 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Murcantile:

> Buy it out there, puts money into local economy, or don't

Agreed, also they have all the guidebooks on the counter in goma dos (climbing shop in cornudella) so you can have a good look and decide which one suits you best. 

> Plus get the one with hand drawn pictures its the most amazing guidebook I have ever seen! stick it on the coffee table to drool over for years to come

> This one

> I think the one you are looking at is recommended for including Margalef and other but if you only going to Siurana the hand drawn one is the one to get, they have a copy in the climbers shop which they update with new routes you can go in and copy them in if you want 

I also got the 2013 version, aside from being very pretty I think it's better laid out than the later one with the photo topos too - easier to flick through and get the required info on orientation, grades and climbing style to pick a crag for the day.

Murcantile 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Ciro:

> I also got the 2013 version, aside from being very pretty I think it's better laid out than the later one with the photo topos too - easier to flick through and get the required info on orientation, grades and climbing style to pick a crag for the day.

Yeah that reminds me, I remember looking at other guidebook which had terrible maps and the pictures of climbs were next to impossible to actually make out the rock face looked like. Don't know what newer versions are like though

rebeccafraley 28 Jan 2018

A GIANT thank you to everyone who replied! The info was extremely helpful, I will be waiting to purchase the book so that I can purchase it in the town. I am only going to be climbing at Siurana due to time constraints (then out to Mallorca after) so I will be looking for the hand drawn maps that Ciro recommended and comparing with the second edition copy. Thanks again everyone!

rebeccafraley 28 Jan 2018
In reply to Ciro:

Thanks for your responses, super helpful. I will only be climbing in Siurana/won't be moving around to other areas, only have about 5 days then moving on to Mallorca. This Siurana-specific guidebook you recommend, is that the hand drawn one you mentioned in your other reply?

Ciro 28 Jan 2018

Well, if it's only five days any of them will do for the trip as they all cover the main crags. 

The hand drawn topo Siurana one will look better on your coffee table afterwards, Tarragona Climbs might help provide more inspiration to bring you back

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...