Bannisdale (Lake District) question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pitlamp 19 Jan 2018

I'd like to walk the Bannisdale Horse Shoe route (in the Shap Fells area), as described in Wainwright's Outlying Fells book. A glance at the 1:25,000 O.S. map suggests there may be walls in the way. Does anyone know if there are stiles? Or are the walls in disrepair and easily stepped through?

Also, Wainwright mentions bogs at one point. Are these particularly bad?

Thanks, if anyone can help.

redsonja 19 Jan 2018
In reply to Pitlamp:

Hi there. As far as I can remember there is 1 wall which has stepping stones and a fence near the start, which is easily climbed. There is one section which is rather boggy, but not dreadful. Gaiters are a good idea.  Enjoy the walk- it feels very remote and you will probably have the day to yourself

CEW 19 Jan 2018
In reply to Pitlamp:

Fraid I can't remember about walls but the Shap fells have large quantities of bog!

Lankyman 20 Jan 2018
In reply to Pitlamp:

I've walked the horseshoe before both ways and don't recall any wall problems. The last time, we started from Bannisdale High Bridge (plenty of parking on the old road) and gained access land from the bridleway just north of Thorn Cottage. We were challenged by a farmer on his quadbike who didn't seem aware of our legal right to be there but he wasn't aggressive about it and didn't try and ward us off. It's a good remote-feeling walk but if there's a lot of soft snow about it might be a slog.

OP Pitlamp 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Lankyman:

Thanks Lankyman; so it is access land then? (I only have an older 1:25,000 map which doesn't show CRoW land.)

In reply to Pitlamp:

> Thanks Lankyman; so it is access land then? (I only have an older 1:25,000 map which doesn't show CRoW land.)

If you use something like Streetmap and type in Bannisdale,  you'll be able to see what is or isn't access land. 

redsonja 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Pitlamp:

I'm sure it isn't access land, but I may be wrong. I've never had any problems being there at all. One time I was chatting to a farmer and his wife and they didn't question what I was doing

Lankyman 21 Jan 2018
In reply to redsonja:

> I'm sure it isn't access land, but I may be wrong.

The whole of the horseshoe IS on access land apart from a short section near the western start heading up to Whiteside Pike. The enclosed fields there are crossed by a public bridleway and a walled track leading into open access land at Whiteside. At the eastern end it's access land all the way down to Dryhowe Bridge then public road south from there. OR keep on going beyond Lamb Pasture to the public bridleway that drops down to Thorn Cottage and Bannisdale High Bridge. All on access land and perfectly legal.

OP Pitlamp 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Lankyman:

That's great - thanks. The last thing I'd want to do is upset any locals.

redsonja 21 Jan 2018
In reply to Pitlamp:

If you meet any farmers, just give a smile and say 'Hello' and make some comment about the weather. They're generally grand fellows

OP Pitlamp 22 Jan 2018
In reply to redsonja:

I fully agree; hill farmers don't have an easy life and, in remoter areas, they often relish the opportunity to have someone to chat to. I've generally found such conversations to be very rewarding. 

In reply to Lankyman:

I go up whiteside pike every week. no problem with access up the track from mosergh farm. It can be very boggy and the tussocks are tedious. Bannisdale is a lovely valley but the tops are a bit dreary in my opinion.

OP Pitlamp 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Full moon addict:

Thanks Full Moon Addict; I'd sort of wondered about running the horseshoe (as you're supposed to get wet feet from bogs when fell running, right?). But if it's seriously tussocky it might not be a particularly good run after all.

Lankyman 23 Jan 2018
In reply to Pitlamp:

> But if it's seriously tussocky it might not be a particularly good run after all.

There are a few tussocks and bogs in places but it's not the North Pennines or Galloway. Most of the way it's easy going, much like on the Howgills - navigate your way round from here https://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=451242

OP Pitlamp 24 Jan 2018
In reply to Lankyman:

Superb - thanks!

summo 24 Jan 2018
In reply to Pitlamp:

> Thanks Full Moon Addict; I'd sort of wondered about running the horseshoe (as you're supposed to get wet feet from bogs when fell running, right?). But if it's seriously tussocky it might not be a particularly good run after all.

It's been used for various orienteering events and is more than runnable, especially as you'll be sticking to the highest ground.

OP Pitlamp 24 Jan 2018
In reply to summo:

Thanks Summo; you've talked me into it. Think I'll let this weather settle down a bit first though.

redsonja 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Pitlamp:

It will be rather soggy up there at the moment with the snow melting. It's still better than being at work tho!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...