Gas vs Solid Fuel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinturner 16 Jan 2018

I’ve always used trangias with a gas conversion and have never had a problem. 

But more and more people I speak to nowadays, are using solid fuel? 

Lighter and smaller, I can see the attraction with that. But I suppose I like the on/off with gas, and abit of control over heat. 

Whats everyone preference? Or does it completely depend on the situation?

tjin 16 Jan 2018

I only have Esbit as fire starter/emergency fuel. Not really need a stove for it to use; stores really well, no danger of leaking. But very sensitive to wind, slow, not suitable for big pans, makes pots black, hard to determine how much you need. 

But for cooking; gas or liquid is just far cheaper, faster and easier to control, 

olddirtydoggy 16 Jan 2018
In reply to martinturner:

Probably depends on what you're doing. I use gas but rarely am I in a tent more than 2 night boiling water for cous cous and tea. No faff. If I was trekking across eastern Europe then I'd look at something else.

In reply to olddirtydoggy:

For camping, a good old paraffin primus stove takes a lot of beating. Petrol too temperamental. Gas for back-country, but rather feeble. Solid fuel is last resort for very light weight use.

kipman725 16 Jan 2018

Tried ESBIT and found it to be hopeless in any kind of wind.  I had to light the fuel inside the tent and then take it outside the tent while on fire and even then didn't manage to cook all our food.  Might be ok in nice weather in the summer.

richprideaux 16 Jan 2018

BCB Dragon Fuel is worth a look - it's replacing hexi blocks for the military and I use it with clients regularly:

http://amzn.to/2mEHBdv

I interviewed one of their people about it a couple of years ago at a trade show - demo of the product and me with a fat face:

youtube.com/watch?v=nQrnGVB9Ayc&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...