Two nights survived on the Scafell Massiff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scon 16 Jan 2018

https://www.cumbriacrack.com/2018/01/15/leeds-man-missing-scafell-pike-clim...

Two nights on the Scafell Massif over recent days and he survived...amazing!!

Mal Grey 16 Jan 2018
In reply to scon:

A bit more on Grough: https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/01/16/search-dogs-found-walker-richa...

A lucky man, he presumably managed to get enough shelter somehow. 

Mark Collins 17 Jan 2018
In reply to scon:

That's a fantastic outcome, thanks for sharing

99ster 17 Jan 2018
In reply to Mal Grey:

Lucky guy indeed, but I also think this is probably the key point "He’d been moving throughout much of the time".  If he had just stopped and waited to be found then I fear the result would have been much worse - keeping moving & generating heat from walking was what kept him alive.

Post edited at 09:18
 Jim Lancs 17 Jan 2018
In reply to 99ster:

" . . . keeping moving & generating heat from walking was what kept him alive."

I think I'd be a little cautious with that advice: You can only generate heat by moving for as long as you have body fuel to burn. Mountain Rescue Teams are very wary of having 'exposed' casualties walk out. Even ones that seem to perk up with some dry clothes / food / hot drinks can quickly exhaust their new reserves.

JohnBson 17 Jan 2018
In reply to 99ster:

Good effort to the bloke for keeping moving however its hard to see how even in the worst conditions he could have spent so long, covering so little distance if he had a map, compass, mountain knowledge and knowledge of Navigation. He must have had the right clothing though, otherwise he'd have been dead.

Well done to the MRT but prior planning and preparation prevents deadly accidents.

stevieb 17 Jan 2018
In reply to scon:

Brilliant news. I wasn't hopeful for him.

Difficult to understand what happened here, but it sounds like he was saved because (a) he told people where he was going and when he'd be back (b) he was reasonably well equipped

In reply to JohnBson:

i wondered this, perhaps he got himself turned around a bunch of times or just got stuck on some steep ground for a big chunk of time.

Whatever, its fantastic to hear he is safe and sound.

well done to all involved!

redsonja 17 Jan 2018
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

Be interesting to find out how he got to where they found him from Scafell Pike. It's amazing he seems little the worse for it all. MRT and their dogs rule the world as far am I'm concerned!

JohnBson 18 Jan 2018
In reply to redsonja:

Near Silverbield crags. 

redsonja 18 Jan 2018
In reply to JohnBson:

the reports say he was in a bog near Silverybield but I wondered how he got down there from Scafell Pike? 

BnB 18 Jan 2018
In reply to redsonja:

> the reports say he was in a bog near Silverybield but I wondered how he got down there from Scafell Pike? 

Not far from the Cowcove zigzags, a rather boggy but well travelled way down.

In reply to scon:

A lot of people and dogs looking in a local area foul whether dark for some of the time  

""rescuers heard cries for help ""

I wonder if the cry was a sharp blast from a whistle 120Db or a faint cry of help  60Db after a night of stumbling around cold and scard?

Glad he's ok and it was not a body recovery for the mrts 

Jim Lancs 18 Jan 2018
In reply to BnB:

" . . . Not far from the Cowcove zigzags, a rather boggy but well travelled way down . . ."

It is indeed a great way down from the upper Esk. However it's usually less well travelled by people who have left their cars at Brackenclose in Wasdale!

Clearly there was a succession of 'problems' that lead to him being found where he was.

Post edited at 12:15
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

"The missing walker was found stuck in boggy ground."

I read this as literally being stuck in the ground, in a bog. Which would explain why he hadn't managed to travel far.

I may have misinterpreted the report, of course...

JohnBson 18 Jan 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

The report stated he'd been moving most of the time. I'd imagine if he'd been physically stuck for two days he'd have exhausted himself trying to escape, rested and the cold would have stripped him of his body heat leading quickly to hypothermia and death.

In reply to JohnBson:

> I'd imagine...

Which is all we can do, given the scant, unclear reports posted here...

Post edited at 15:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...