Lightweight Insulation - Is any of it durable?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aldo56 16 Jan 2018

I've had an Arcteryx Atom LT hoody for a couple of years. When I first got it, it was nice and warm and puffy. It now resembles a very thin fleece and provides almost no insulation at all. It's not really had a hard life but it has spent quite a bit of time rolled up in my rucksack. It seems this has killed a very expensive outdoors jacket....

From what I understand, it is filled with Coreloft, something quite similar to Primaloft. The insulation seems to have compacted down to almost nothing.

Do any of the new types of sythetic insulation offer more durability? I'm looking for something of around 60g/m warmth.

In reply to aldo56:

Continuous filament insulations like Climashield (Primaloft used to have one called Synergy, think it may be Silver Hi Loft now?) are generally considered to be much more durable at the expense of packability. In my experience with belay parkas and sleeping bags this is true. The warmth over the lifespan of the jacket seems much more cost effective and you don't have to worry about wearing out the insulation as much. I don't think I'd get Primaloft One again unless it was on a super sale. 

Unfortunately clothing wise Climashield only tends to be in military style stuff, or from custom shops. If you are in Arcteryx level budgets though there's a US shop that make UL gear called Nunatak USA that would make you a custom jacket with all the face fabrics of your choice. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...