The mystery of the Cwm Tryfan ice axe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richprideaux 15 Jan 2018

On New Year's Day we went for a bimble up onto Tryfan (Heather Terrace and South Ridge) in slushy snow and strong winds. Whilst descending via Cwm Tryfan one of our party stumbled on what turned out to be a 1960s (a guess) Grivel axe, almost completely obscured by the vegetation.

It was less than a metre from the edge of the main path and in a place I've probably passed by at least 50 times over the years.

Images of the axe and the rough location (above the Tryfan Bach fenceline but on the flatter section) are on my blog. There's also the video of Tom finding the axe (a dramatic reconstruction as I'd just turned the GoPro off when he found it) cued up to start at the right point.

Does anyone have any info on the axe (model/age) or even on the likely history of it? The position suggests it being idly stabbed into the snow/ground as someone descended and then left behind. It does show sign of weathering in the elements, but probably not 50 years worth?

http://originaloutdoors.co.uk/blog/the-mystery-of-the-cwm-tryfan-ice-axe/

In reply to richprideaux:

Good story. You could email a link to your blog to Grivel.

Trangia 15 Jan 2018

Ahhhh! I wondered when this would come out?

Beware the ice axe and the empty Cwm. It will send shivers down your spine, because you will find the is no one there!!

OP richprideaux 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Trangia:

It's alright, Tom has it and we weren't TOO attached to him anyway.

In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Email is going out in the morning - I've tagged them in a few social media posts about it too so hopefully someone will see it.

Rick Graham 15 Jan 2018

My guess FFIW is a late 60's / early 70's straight axe.

It looks to have homemade notches/teeth filed in and the pick DIY dropped as was common in the earl;y 70's.

In reply to Rick Graham:

Thanks Rick

Billhook 15 Jan 2018

Have you tried the 'lost and found' section...............

profitofdoom 15 Jan 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

> My guess FFIW is a late 60's / early 70's straight axe.

My GUESS and it is only a guess is that it is from around 1968 to 1970

Oooh UKC gone Time Team, love it

Dell 16 Jan 2018
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

If Tony Robinson wants to look under rocks in popular UK mountain venues, then good luck to him!  

Goucho 16 Jan 2018

I'm amazed no one on here is aware of the story of the old man of Tryfan Bach.

I was told the story by Paul Williams one stormy night in Humphries Barn.

Apparently many many winters ago, an old retired slate miner from Dinorwic was walking back down into Cwm Tryfan with his dog, a disagreeable and easily annoyed Jack Russell. As the snow fell from the leadened sky, and the wind howled down from the ridges, the old man stumbled and slipped.  

As he fell, he lost his grip on his old ice axe, and it hit the dog on the head. 

Incandescent with rage, the dog picked up the ice axe between his teeth, and proceeded to batter the old man to death.

When the dog had calmed down, and realised what he'd done, he dragged the old mans body behind some boulders, and then frantically buried the ice axe.

The dog was never seen again, and despite months of searching, the old man's body was never found.

Down the years, late in the evening, when the wind howls and the snow falls, many walkers have reported hearing the sound of an old man's voice echoing around the cwm. The voice reportedly only says the same three words repeatedly - "F*cking Bastard Dog".

And legend has it, that whoever finds the old man's ice axe, will be blessed with limitless strength and ice climbing skills, but, will also suffer the fate of being attacked by the ghost of a Jack Russell, on the crux of every route!

FactorXXX 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Goucho:

> Incandescent with rage, the dog picked up the ice axe between his teeth, and proceeded to batter the old man to death.

Gelert's revenge?

Solaris 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Goucho:

Nice story, but the bit I'm not sure I can believe is that Paul Williams ever slummed it in Humphries Barn...

Iain Thow 17 Jan 2018
In reply to Goucho:

Man's best fiend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...