Customer service in UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just wondering how people view this. This week I have been on the wrong end of three shit customer service situations. I am not fussed about the three things now as eventually, after considerable hassle, they are resolved, all a long while after the original timeframe these organisations led me to believe it would take them to resolve them. They got me wondering why customer service iscso terrible in the UK.

To illustrate the variety of businesses involved, one involved a large refund from a phone provider, the second was to do with an order for outdoor stuff from what used to be a true climbing shop but is now on a par with Blacks (pretty obvious which company I am on about!) that they completely failed to feliver wighin their guaranteed timeline, and the third was a watch repair company.

Why is shit customer service so pervasive in the UK? Because we don’t like to complain, making companies lazy? Because the wages paid to customer service staff do not incentivise them to do anything more than just get through the day? Because in today’s  competitive market place, companies knowingly talk bullshit to get people to use them?

Post edited at 15:42
 Doug 13 Jan 2018
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Is it any better elsewhere ? My experience in France suggests its much the same here as in the UK - some good, some poor.

mypyrex 13 Jan 2018

Don't get me going about British Gas!

If you hear no more from me you'll know they've driven me to a breakdown

Post edited at 17:24
 1234None 14 Jan 2018
In reply to Doug:

Agreed, except that in my experience French customer service does - at times - make the situation in the UK look overwhelmingly positive.

NottsRich 14 Jan 2018
In reply to Doug:

Certainly 100 times better in Australia. 

French Erick 14 Jan 2018
In reply to nickinscottishmountains and Doug:

France is far worse, that is not to say Britain is great re customer service though.

I still prefer mediocre, but you know what the person thinks rather than the utterly raging false happiness that you sometimes get in North America.

Big Ger 14 Jan 2018
In reply to French Erick:

You have a nice day now!

JamButty 14 Jan 2018

I find it depressing and amazing that many companies fight over small costs.  If you had a complaint then the best thing for them to do is give you the benefit of the doubt,  refund you and replace or whatever's required.  Its peanuts to their billions of turnover and you become one of their positive advertisers by passing on their goodwill.  If they p... you off then you tell everyone the story.

Yes they'll get the small percentage who take the p... who have genuinely cheated them but surely that's worth the small risk.

PPP 14 Jan 2018

I found the customer service in UK (I grew up in Eastern Europe) more than OK, but very much company-dependent. The more luxury brands/shops (think of Waitrose and the likes) are outstanding, but you pay the price for it. 

Admittedly, Waitrose and similar shops are really good when feeling down - people seem to be happier and the staff seems to be happy as well. Been to Lidl today - a woman started a rant as two young students were chatting and she couldn't have a quiet shopping on Sunday. 

deepsoup 14 Jan 2018
In reply to PPP:

Funny that.  Around here I've often noticed the reverse is true, as far as the staff are concerned anyway.  Waitrose is only a few hundred meters from a large Aldi, the staff in the Waitrose often seem to be miserable buggers whereas the staff in Aldi are excellent.  There aren't nearly as many of them and they always seem to be much busier, but unfailingly much more cheerful and helpful than their posh counterparts in spite of more difficult working conditions.

You might have a point about the customers though.  http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/waitrose-top-for-organic-vegeta...

thermal_t 14 Jan 2018

From working in several such jobs, I've found the biggest problem is that front line customer service staff and aren't, in a lot of cases, sufficiently empowered to resolve issues themselves. They then have several layers of internal bureaucracy to jump through themselves to sort things for the customer. 

pasbury 14 Jan 2018

I think it depends how much choice you have in what you’re purchasing. Therefore most retailers have offered me good service if I have a moan or need to replace things. Utilities don’t care unless you threaten to leave them. Monopolies might be be another matter. I have never had to make a complaint about my water bill, I guess as I know it would be utterly pointless.

estivoautumnal 14 Jan 2018

>  They got me wondering why customer service iscso terrible in the UK.

> Why is shit customer service so pervasive in the UK?

Questions that can only be asked by someone who has only ever lived in the UK. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...