REVIEW: Outdoor Research Alpenice Hooded Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 09 Jan 2018
Alpenice montage, 4 kbMarrying weatherproof fabrics with a snazzy pile lining, this is a bit of a cutting edge softshell, reckons Dan Bailey. Perhaps the ambitious price tag reflects its 'concept car' status?

Read more
 James123 09 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

I like these insulated/softshell type hybrid jackets (although Rab and Montane do very similar pieces that can be found for roughly half the price) however I find that for most people a hooded polartec fleece (hi loft or thermal pro winter) with a pertex windproof over the top makes a much more versatile system and pefroms virtually the same as these integrated jackets.
 Col Kingshott 09 Jan 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

As usual, a very good and thorough review. I don’t think it’s an innovative jacket though. Patagonia used to make something exactly the same a few years ago, fluffy fleece lined softshell, called a Northwall or something. I thought it was a good jacket, but similar to OR it didn’t stay in their range for long. I agree with the point above that having the fleece & shell layers separate makes a more versatile layering system.

Col.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...