Lowering from loaded direct (guide-mode) belay device

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anonymous123 09 Jan 2018
Can someone please elaborate on and explain the differences, pros and cons of each of the following ways of defeating a loaded belay device in guide mode (say, ATC guide as an example):

- re-directing the brake strand
- re-directing the load strand
- LSD-Load Strand Direct lower; Marc Chauvin's system

Thanks in advance!
 jezb1 09 Jan 2018
In reply to anonymous123:

I did a video on one method ages ago: http://www.jbmountainskills.co.uk/news/2015/07/new-video-releasing-a-loaded...

Your method will be dictated by the device, ie. the Pivot may be easier to lower on than a ATC Guide.
Whichever method you choose, practice it before you need it, there's been near misses in the lowering process.
cb294 09 Jan 2018
In reply to anonymous123:

That is what the knife on the harness is for!

CB
 GarethSL 09 Jan 2018
In reply to jezb1:

That was a great video. I learned an almost identical technique years ago (with the only difference being the inclusion of a stopper/catastrophe knot) but am yet to do this in anger.

A nice 5 min refresher
 AlanLittle 09 Jan 2018
In reply to cb294:

I thought the whole idea of guide plate belaying was that you don't need the knife any more. Weight & cost saving.
 phil456 09 Jan 2018
In reply to jezb1:

+1 for practice, tried this on a vertical route in the gym once without redirect and it was nearly a disaster.
thereafter went for a redirect and munter on the harness and changed to a pivot when they came out.
Your use of a prusik looks a good idea, I will give it a go when I can find a victim ????
anonymous123 10 Jan 2018
In reply to jezb1:
Hey JB, i've seen that video before (it's good) and it's the way I've practised. https://www.climbing.com/skills/the-lsd-lower-how-to-lower-in-guide-mode/

I'm just wondering why anyone would do anything other than redirecting the brake strand as you do in the video - seems much simpler than the LSD lower.

I'd probably use an italian hitch on the redirect for added friction and backup with a catastrophe knot until i was sure the prusik would hold (maybe overkill, I haven't tried guide mode before).
Post edited at 04:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...