Plantar Fasciitis - approach shoes recommendation please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kylo-342 03 Jan 2018
I've had plantar fasciitis for the past 9 months now - have got some great custom made insoles, thanks to the NHS. I have found that using these with Nike Air trainers works reasonably well.

I find the Nike Air softer on the heel than my old approach shoes which were quite hard. However Nike Air somewhat un-waterproof and soles slippery in the wet.

Please might someone advise me on suitable approach shoes that might combine the soft-heel advantages of the Nike Air with the robustness and waterproofness of a mountain-worthy approach shoe? i.e. is there a particular brand or model that is worth trying.

thanks
 Pedro50 03 Jan 2018
In reply to kylo-342:

If your insoles have resolved the problem then hopefully you can wear whatever suits your activity. I had PF and have custom insoles. Since then I have worn Merrell Moab Ventilators and three different models of Inov fell shoes. None of which are remotely waterproof but they suit my purpose. Not very helpful sorry.
 dovebiker 03 Jan 2018
In reply to kylo-342:

If you want super-soft, cushioned shoes look at Hoka One One - Tor Ultra Hi has the cushioning of a trainer with a lightweight, waterproof boot. Sportsshoes has some on offer.
 wbo 03 Jan 2018
In reply to kylo-342: speedcross with a goretex grass. Good in the woods, on grass, rubbish on rocks

SouthernSteve 03 Jan 2018
In reply to dovebiker:
I would recommend the OP watch the Hoka if they are not used to low drop shoes. Could be swapping one pain for another.

In reply to who:
Speedcross would fit well - I use my older ones for walking and messing about, and they take orthotics pretty well. The Podiatrist approved!
Fonty 03 Jan 2018
In reply to kylo-342:

Don't think they're as cushioned as Nike Airs, but I found La Sportiva TX4s worked well with orthotics when I suffered from plantar fasciitis. The soles on the TX4s provide good grip and La Sportiva do a goretex version of the shoes. However, as with all footwear, it's ultimately down to individual fit.
 Smythson 04 Jan 2018
In reply to kylo-342:
Check out Nike Zoom Wildhorse. I've found Scarpa and LS approach shoes don't work for me ie heavy and not climby enough. The Wildhorse have been awesome and are wearing well considering their mileage and the amount of scree covered. Grip is amazing. I've left the normal insoles in so can't comment on orthotics.

For other suggestions for trainers as approach shoes look on pct sites in the states - lots of trainer geekery there!

Best,

S
Post edited at 09:51
 GrahamD 04 Jan 2018
In reply to kylo-342:

Personally I found that when my PF was at its worst the degree of cushioning wasn't important: what was important was having a shoe that didn't allow a walking gait and foot position that aggravated the PF. For a while I could only contemplate fully supportive walking boots with green super feet insoles (having tried gel cushioned insoles and all sorts of combinations of footwear). A regular runner friend on the other hand found gel inserts in trainers to be ideal for him.

Now I wear somewhat pricey Merrel approach shoes (which fit me and suit my particular pronation etc.) all the time (work and play) and - touch wood - no recurrence of PF.

So along with regular foot stretches it really was a case of what worked best for me and it may well be a similar level of experimentation for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...