dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chloelouell 02 Jan 2018
My 15 week old cocker spaniel puppy keeps being sick. been to vet and says he has a sensitive stomach. Any else had any experience with sensitive tummys? what do you feed? any good supplements?

Thanks
 Jenny C 02 Jan 2018
In reply to chloelouell:

We used to feed chappie biscuits, recommended by the vet for sensitive tummy and as a bonus it's one of the cheapest branded feeds in the market.
 Tall Clare 02 Jan 2018
In reply to chloelouell:
Do you have a good independent pet supplies shop nearby? If so, go in and talk to them about what's on offer. I've heard good things about Chappie for sensitive stomachs as a short-term measure, but longer-term it's worth investigating what's out there (and avoiding the cheaper stuff that's filled with, well, filler). Some vets will push Hills Science Plan but the ingredients list makes for alarming reading.

For what it's worth my dog is fed on Natural Instinct raw food (a blend of raw meat, vegetables, and various supplements) and thrives on it. If she has dry food (e.g. if we're camping) it's Canagen large breed, which is one of the grain-free premium dry foods.

This site might be useful for assessing the quality of what's on offer if you find yourself standing in Jollyes or Pets at Home and feeling a bit baffled: https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

Editing to add: have you had a chat with the breeder about your puppy being sick? Are you feeding the dog the same food that the breeder was using?
Post edited at 21:57
 tehmarks 02 Jan 2018
In reply to chloelouell:

A novel development in offwidth protection!
 artif 02 Jan 2018
In reply to chloelouell:

Whatever you do, avoid anything Bakers.

Chicken and rice for a few days, should help settle him/her down.
After trying all the manufactured foods, without success, we ended up cooking our own food for our Newfie. We do give him raw meat beef & chicken (bones included) occasionally, but normally he gets cooked steak, chicken, rice and veg, never ever broccoli though.
He's nearly 12 now, which is a good age for such a big lump (78kg).
In reply to chloelouell:

I get the feeling you are about to suggest some that have been recommended to you, that worked wonders...
 Tall Clare 02 Jan 2018
In reply to artif:

Any particular reason for avoiding broccoli? My dog (german pointer) loves broccoli and will sit by the kitchen counter begging for its stalks...

Chris Harris 02 Jan 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

> I get the feeling you are about to suggest some that have been recommended to you, that worked wonders...

Quite. There has been a bizarre outbreak of newbies starting utterly random threads over the last few weeks.

Also a fair few "fake" profile pics, using stock photos from the internet.

To the OP: Why didn't you ask this on a pet forum, if you're genuine?
 C4T 03 Jan 2018
In reply to chloelouell:
Chappie’s is good for sensitive stomaches but if your dog still isn’t great with it, go back the vets as he might be sensitive to a certain ingredient. We’re currently reintroducing chappies to our dog after being on royal canin gastro food after a bad bout of gastroenteritis, if he still isn’t ‘right’ on chappies, it may turn out to be a permanent food change due to his stomach not liking the ingredients in regular food.
In reply to Chris Harris:

> To the OP: Why didn't you ask this on a pet forum, if you're genuine?

It's quite likely they thought they were on the 'other' UKC - https://www.ukcdogs.com

tingle 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Case closed. Now the guy who wanted us to diagnose his faulty VW?
 artif 03 Jan 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

Seems there is conflicting advice on t'internet (no surprises there) but i have been told by vets, dog trainers and breeders not to give broccoli to dogs.
Seems that some people do give their dogs small amounts for treats though.
A quick search got this from the AKC http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/can-dogs-eat-broccoli/
 ben b 03 Jan 2018
In reply to artif:

We do seem to be going to some lengths to be helpful to a bot...

Still, will be interesting to see what they are shilling for. If there's a dog involved anywhere I'd be amazed!

b
 artif 03 Jan 2018
In reply to ben b:

My second reply was to Tall Clare.
My bad for responding to the OP didn't bother checking history etc. Life is too short.
 Tall Clare 03 Jan 2018
In reply to artif:

Ah, but we've then had an interesting/useful exchange, so all is not lost. I didn't know that about broccoli - but my dog only has the odd stalk occasionally, it's less than 10% of her food for a day, and there don't seem to be any ill-effects, so all good! Thank you for sharing the link though.
 Chris Harris 03 Jan 2018
In reply to chloelouell:

Another random newbie thread. We're under attack!

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=676757

nniff 04 Jan 2018
In reply to chloelouell:

Has he been pinching chocolate over Christmas? That would make him throw up. Note that our young dog can sniff out an unattended chocolate at 100m and then throws up everywhere, repeatedly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...