Lochnagar conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rodw 01 Jan 2018
Hi intend visiting Lochnagar Cairngorms next week what is the best site for up to date conditions etc
 tspoon1981 01 Jan 2018
In reply to rodw:

The conditions page on here, I've taken to looking at Instagram to get a better understanding of conditions, which has proven to be the best tool recently. As far as I know, there isn't a webcam for Lochnagar
 Gawyllie 02 Jan 2018
In reply to rodw:

SAIS southern Cairngorms are usually in there at least one a week.

http://scairngormsblog.sais.gov.uk/2018/01/more-snow-forecast/
 StuDoig 02 Jan 2018
In reply to rodw:

Nowhere that reliably reports on conditions in the corrie on the scale that you see with the Northern Corries etc. MWIS southern cairngorms blog is probably the best place to get an idea of local conditions. Normally worth a punt heading up though as even if the longer routes in the main corrie aren't in condition, there is almost always something climbable on the smaller high buttresses in the southern sector unless it's stupidly warm or just been a massive thaw......

Cheers,

Stu
 MrRiley 03 Jan 2018
In reply to rodw:

Lochnagar can be very fickle conditions-wise. Due to the large plateau any wind with a westerly component usually results in much of the main sector becoming swamped in powder, which apart from creating very arduous and insecure climbing can obviously insulate the turf etc. A true northerly can create very nice mixed conditions in the southern sector - buttresses rimed and powder mostly blown off. Winds with an easterly component create better mixed conditions in the main sector. A large build up and plenty of thaw-freeze is required for good nick in the gullies although lean and very cold can give good sport in Raeburn's.

I agree there's usually something climbable but it's a long way for a consolation route...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...