ME G2 'Pants'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Whitters 29 Dec 2017
Hi,

Currently ferreting around trying to source a replacement for my TNF waterproof winter trousers and have become utterly bewildered by the options!

I'm currently looking at the Mountain Equipment G2 trousers. The write ups I've read seem to indicate that whilst not hardshell they hold up pretty well in winter conditions "Without the need for waterproofs".

Does anyone have any experience with them? Is that claim remotely true or just "Sales puff"?
 eschaton 29 Dec 2017
In reply to Whitters:

They will wet out eventually but they can resist a lot. I seem to remember the main material used is windstopper which is a membrane but without any taping on the seams. I've never had a problem with wet snow but have had it come through in consistent rain.
 alexm198 29 Dec 2017
In reply to Whitters:

Sales puff. I think they're Gore Windstopper which is fairly weatherproof but definitely not waterproof. I've got a pair that I've used in the Alps and in Scotland, and have definitely had them wet out at times.
 PPP 29 Dec 2017
In reply to Whitters:

I think Neoshell is the only I'd trust, if we ignore true hardshells. Had some very bad days in hills and they stayed dry.

Windstopper will wet out, especially if you decide to sit down.
 TobyA 29 Dec 2017
In reply to PPP:

> I think Neoshell is the only I'd trust, if we ignore true hardshells.

Why isn't a "hardshell" made of Neoshell a "true hardshell"?
 summo 29 Dec 2017
In reply to Whitters:

I think they are under rated. Obviously if it's lashing down all day with rain or heavy wet snow, they have their limits, but anything less and I'd say they pretty good. Mine are older, not sure if new ones are different, but wear them when temps are above zero and you'll soon get a sweat on.
 ColdWill 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Whitters:

Got wet in mine today. that melting wet snow just soaked in after a while. I proof regularly as well
 PPP 06 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Sorry about that Toby. I should have said the traditional hardshell. Nothing wrong with Neoshell and I much prefer wearing them in conditions when you know you'd be spending in Gore-Tex Pro salopetes most of the day otherwise.
 TobyA 06 Jan 2018
In reply to PPP:

I have an old pair of Marmot goretex salopettes, but I only really use them skiing these days, they have soft kneepads in and are bit baggy. I think they are XCR, the old Pro. If it's not a day when I think my softshell trousers will do, I wear Jottnar Neoshell "hardshell" salopettes and they work pretty much like all other waterproofs I've used over the years. So I was just confused by what you see as "true hardshell"? Do you just think Neoshell is much more breathable?
 PPP 06 Jan 2018
In reply to TobyA:

For me Neoshell trousers mean they’d be a bit more breathable (maybe because of side vents as well...), I might skip the baselayer and won’t take salopetes with me for a walk. So it’s more of a preference given the weather, I think. I have been wearing lighter trousers with heavier merino wool baselayers lately as I tend to run hot and somehow it works better for me.

Actually, I don’t think I wore salopetes once I got Neoshell troos. If it’s wet, I’ll take Neoshell. If it’s dry with a low chance of rain, I'd take light overtrousers. If there’s a chance of torrential weather, I’d take soft shell trousers and GTX salopetes, but I’m more inclined to stay at home now.

The only mistake I made was when I was bivvying in November. It was dry day, but wet underfoot. The trousers eventually got wet and the next morning wasn’t the most pleasant. Soft shell and gaiters would have been a better idea - my Neoshell trousers have internal gaiter.
 Robbie Blease 06 Jan 2018
In reply to Whitters:

To be honest, I've been super impressed, with my G2's. I don't use them when it's raining, because that's not what their for, but in the snow I think they're are far superior to GTX. They're not really sweaty, they're tougher, warmer, they fit better, they're a little bit stretchy and they come in long leg, which if your 30" waist and 34" leg, is a big plus! I will use GTX when it's raining (and when it's raining, you probably won't be winter climbing) but these are being used a lot more these days than my hardshells.
Just my thoughts. I was quite surprised to see people didn't rate these, I think their the bees knees!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...