Forcan Ridge Area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petre 28 Dec 2017
Good morning
Heading up to Forcan ridge area on Saturday for a week. Anybody know about conditions In the area for ice and winter mountaineering? Any recommendations for either would be good and does anyone know which winter climbing guide covers the area ?
Regards Peter
 KA 28 Dec 2017
In reply to petre:

I've not been up there myself recently, but it looks like they've had a good bit of snow down to the road. I doubt that there is much useful ice about, as there's been very little thaw-freeze cycles in hills since the return of winter to the Highlands. It might be worth sticking to ridges and buttresses for the time being, as the gullies will be full of unconsolidated snow, with quite a bit more due over the New Year period.
http://www.kintailmrt.org.uk/webcamnw.htm

The best guidebook to the area is Northern Highlands South by the SMC.

Ian RG 28 Dec 2017
In reply to petre:

I live about 10 miles from Glen Shiel; not been up munros there since Christmas but have been up some lower hills (~1000ft) along Loch Duich. There is loads of snow down to sea level where it is wet and mushy. Higher up much deeper up to a foot, soft with occasional crust. No ice where I was; can't say at higher tops but suspect not much. Any turf under snow is not likely to be frozen. Been snowing again this morning. It will be hard going with depth of snow but I've heard there are parties out walking in the Glen (not sure where) so there may may a trail although it will fill in with more snow.
Have a good time
 BnB 28 Dec 2017
In reply to petre:
Lots of unconsidated windslab on the Cuillin. Likely similar in Glen Shiel. Looked that way as I drove through this morning although not as heavy a covering on the mainland for a change.

Looking very beautiful and cars parked in every layby. I'd have thought anyone on the Forcan ridge today is having a wonderful outing.
Post edited at 15:10
In reply to petre:

Forcan Ridge, II, is an excellent winter mountaineering route - a very long inescapable ridge with one unavoidable ab. Its a long day so give yourself the maximum time possible and start at dawn. Quite a long and steep walk in along a good path, long sustained route although nothing too technical except for the slabs which you can avoid on the left, descent can be tricky in poor weather and potentially avalanche prone so prep up on this beforehand. Well worth it!!!

Joak 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Cuillin Calling:

The ab is avoidable. In summer it's a wee scrambly rock step. In winter I've always taken an easy avoiding route down its left hand side. Pretty sure you can avoid it on the right as well but I've never used it. If in any doubt about snow conditions, as you said you can always ab it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...