Recycling a down jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SanchoPascoe 27 Dec 2017
Ideas wanted for what to do with a TNF down jacket with a badly ripped sleeve which is beyond economical repair, in the opinion of the firm I have sent it too for assessment. I'm hoping to re-use it again but am struggling to find a service or company who could prehaps repackage it as a gillet? Any ideas, particularly witty ones as I'm still picking myself up from the floor having read the quote for the repair and it's brutal but honest appraisal.
 Hephaestus 27 Dec 2017
In reply to SanchoPascoe:

Just cut the arms off if you want a gillet.
Make a nice down pillow.
Polyester shell fabrics can be recycled.
 balmybaldwin 27 Dec 2017

Just ask for it back and do it yourself properly with gaffa tape - mine is still going strong 5 years later (admittedly I occasionally change the gaffa tape)
 Dave the Rave 27 Dec 2017

I buried my dead dog in it. She liked it more than me.
 gethin_allen 27 Dec 2017

If you decide to cut the arms off yourself you could put in some tack stitches in "upstream" of the cut to keep all the down in place before you make the cut. In my experience of repairing down stuff, controlling the down was the most awkward bit.
 alimckay 27 Dec 2017

Maybe worth contacting this company

http://www.mountaineering-designs.co.uk/

I've not used them but they look like they'd be able to help

Ali
SanchoPascoe 29 Dec 2017
In reply to Dave the Rave:

The way the cat is going he will be a dead one soon in need of a warm shroud!!!
But a nice touch.
SanchoPascoe 29 Dec 2017
In reply to alimckay:

One company I haven't tried yet but the damage to the internal baffles means replacement and so it's expensive. So I suspect the outcome will be much the same. But thanks for the pointer
SanchoPascoe 29 Dec 2017
In reply to marsbar:

Worth a try. I shall refer this to a more skilled and adept individual than hamfisted self,aka Mrs Sanchopascoe!!!
 Billhook 29 Dec 2017

Wait till spring. One dry day take it outside, and empty all the down onto the lawn. The birds will soon recycle most of it for nests.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...