Boxing Day Test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 25 Dec 2017
and the only change to the England side is the loss of Overton, the only player who has shown any fire in his belly, and replacing him with Tom Curran.

We're spending the day watching the match on tele, recovering from yesterday's excesses, and I know my Mrs is going to have a field day...
 Rampikino 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I fear for England today.

Going to be a long, hot day which could be grim.
OP Big Ger 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Aus 102 for no loss at lunch, bloody dreadful start for the bowlers.,
 Rampikino 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

177-3 on a batsmen's paradise represents something of of a triumph!
OP Big Ger 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

244 - 3 with Smith still at the crease.

Let's hope he gets bored of scoring easy runs tomorrow...
 Michael Hood 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

At least we haven't lost on day one
OP Big Ger 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Bloody hell, England turned up to the match.

Aus all out for 327.
 john arran 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Bloody hell, woke up to an Aussie collapse and a Cook ton. Have I slipped into a parallel universe?
 Ardo 27 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

Yup, you have, but following England's cricket team means you could easily slip back to the previous one in the blink of an eye!

On a more serious note, what are people's thoughts on this being an example of not enough serious cricket for England prior to the series starting vs Aussie injuries/taking foot of the pedal?
I feel it's a bit of both, though we definitely need more competitive games beforehand. The ECB appear to worry about over-working the players and ignore this fact in the ensuing Ashes debacle review that is deemed essential.
 Chris the Tall 27 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

Went to bed with Aus 315-5, fully expecting them to score 500+ and then have England 2 down by the close.

Well I was right about the last bit.
 Postmanpat 27 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

A bit bloody late now. Bah, humbug
 Michael Hood 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Ardo:
Aussie injuries, maybe.
Foot off the pedal, no chance, they'll want to pummel us 5-0.

Still another 3 days to lose this one.
Post edited at 09:55
 Offwidth 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Its almost as if massive swings in daily fortune in test matches are a new thing !?
 GrahamD 27 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

> Bloody hell, woke up to an Aussie collapse and a Cook ton. Have I slipped into a parallel universe?

Still a long way to go before parity on 1st innings, unfortunately. But glad for Cook - struck me he was being made a bit of a scapegoat. Hope Root scores well as well.
 stevieb 27 Dec 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

Yes, a great day for England, but we still need to win day 3 to be in the driving seat.
 Pero 27 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

> Bloody hell, woke up to an Aussie collapse and a Cook ton. Have I slipped into a parallel universe?

He has made 31 test hundreds. All in this universe as well.
 john arran 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Pero:

You're right, of course, but I was rather getting used to this universe being the one in which he could be relied upon for playing a few nice shots and then getting out reliably for just 10-15 runs. Glad to see the universe isn't entirely predictable.

Good luck to the verbs tomorrow.
OP Big Ger 27 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

I was watching it John, I thought the wife had slipped some LSD into my lunch.
 Rampikino 28 Dec 2017
In reply to stevieb:
Slow and steady start to Day 3....

Dammit - cursed it.
Post edited at 00:22
 ben b 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Cook gone for 7, average across five innings of 14, sorry these are not opening bat figures, time to go.

Have you found the replacement yet?

B
 john arran 28 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

I rather like this parallel universe.
In reply to john arran:

Another good day for England and well played Cook and Broad.
 ben b 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Christheclimber:

Cook’s fallow periods occur, but sheer willpower sees him through in the end. cricinfo records his "control %" - i.e. the number of shots off the meat of the bat (or left) as 91%. Out of 409 balls.

Extraordinary effort by a man widely written off. Amazing stamina and concentration. What a legend. And a good team man too, by all accounts.

The old adage of form being temporary but class permanent is well applied here. He's passed Jayawardene, Chanderpaul and Lara in the all time test run scorers during this innings, has passed his previous top score against Australia (and away, too), and as usual looked pretty unflappable - except when he runs when he still looks like Woody out of Toy Story.

I think he's got his name pencilled in for a series or two yet.

b
 ianstevens 28 Dec 2017
In reply to ben b:

Should drop him ASAP, he never scores 300+

/sarcasm

Top class innings from a top class batsman.
 stevieb 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Rampikino:

I stayed up till root got out. After that I imagined the England innings semi collapsing around Cook. Looks like it was going hat way until Woakes and broad.
But what the heck was malan thinking? looked clear to me that he edged it on to his pad
 Rampikino 28 Dec 2017
In reply to stevieb:

Agreed - how would you not know?
OP Big Ger 28 Dec 2017
In reply to ben b:

> Have you found the replacement yet?

>

Young lad called Alastair is ready to step up to the crease....

OP Big Ger 28 Dec 2017
In reply to stevieb:

> But what the heck was malan thinking? looked clear to me that he edged it on to his pad

That was bizarre, not helped by Cook who seems very shy of using the appeal.

ben b 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Trouble is, it isn't always clear which way the decision will go if the ball is squeezed between bat and pad: I can usually tell if I am hit pad first (out) more than the umpire can, so not referring probably suggest that Malan thought it was pad first >> bat. However, it didn't bounce in line either....

Cook has a pretty simple game which allows him to concentrate on playing straight or leaving, with occasional square shots when safe to do so. He can do this for days on end (still). It seems the level of concentration probably drops on other people's LBW shouts.

b

OP Big Ger 28 Dec 2017
In reply to ben b:

Fair comment.
 Welsh Kate 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

So Cooke has got to carry his bat in addition to all the other records he's accrued in a great innings. Pity it didn't come in an earlier test, but there you go...
 Chris the Tall 29 Dec 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Looks like the weather will save Australia..... or England, depending on your level of pessimism
 Ardo 29 Dec 2017

Following England has led me to a glass half full and half empty mentality. Arse, it's raining: we'll struggle to get a win now..... though even we'd struggle to lose from this position.
OP Big Ger 29 Dec 2017

May get a day's play there, with any luck...

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml?ref=hdr
OP Big Ger 30 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

A draw, better than expected before the match, not as good as expected during the match.

Pero 31 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I reckon they should drop Cook for slow scoring. They would have won if he has scored faster. Time to go!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...