Best maps for ski touring in Switzerland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 25 Dec 2017
I'm going to be ski touring in Switzerland as well as France in the Portes du Soleil area. Any recommendations for something that goes to 1:25,000 for the Swiss side?

(I've been able to get the IGN maps on AlpineQuest for the French side. The way to do this, for those of you who have this most excellent of apps, is to suggest a map and type in https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/ as the URL. Put IGN as the comment.)
 Fiona Reid 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
Online you can use https://map.geo.admin.ch - various scales available including 1:25km. You can plot routes, save them out etc.

Another option is GPSTracks both a web page and mobile/tablet app. it lets you save the maps including for offline use. it might default to using openstreetmap maps but you can choose Swiss Topo in the maps menu.
Post edited at 12:37
OP Tricadam 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Thanks Fiona!
 Alex Pryor 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
Try the Swiss Map Mobile app. All free and up to 25000 scale. But you may need to download the red footpath lines using WiFi beforehand. Also tracks your route.
MeteoSwiss i's also great for weather.
 Fiona Reid 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

No problem.

GPSTracks also lets you download and superimpose the slope angle so you can see the areas above 30° which is useful for ski touring etc

ClimberEd 25 Dec 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

viewranger
OP Tricadam 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Fiona Reid:
> GPSTracks also lets you download and superimpose the slope angle so you can see the areas above 30° which is useful for ski touring etc

Fiona, thanks: amazing tip! Do you know if there's anything like this available for Scotland?

(Edit: turns out that handy overlay is available in AlpineQuest too, once you've selected the Swiss map.)
Post edited at 12:09
In reply to Tricadam:

I used 1:25000 with A4 copies in 1:1 scale of segments along the route, with key bits highlighted (e.g. key bits to avoid or a specific cols etc), then laminated. That way you only have one sheet at a time, rather than a whole flappy map to cotend with!
 Misha 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
I don’t really understand all this digital map stuff so just buy good old paper maps. You can get special ski touring maps with common iteneraries shown and slopes over 30 degrees highlighted. Can’t remember if they’re 25k or 50k but whatever they are is sufficient. They aren’t cheap at about CHF 25 each but you would only need one or maybe tep per ski tour. A worthwhile investment, not least because it gives you a feel for the whole area, potential escape routes and so on.
 Fiona Reid 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
> Fiona, thanks: amazing tip! Do you know if there's anything like this available for Scotland?

The Outdooractive app or webpage seems to let you add slope angle to OSM maps. I tried with the mobile webpage:

https://www.outdooractive.com/mobile/en/tours/

and basically if you click on the map icon then select your type as Winter Activities -> Ski Touring then scroll to Scotland and search for something like Sgor Gaoith once the map shows Scotland or zoom into the area you want and you should be able to add the overlay via the layers icon (bottom right on mobile webpage) and under additional layers at the bottom of the menu you should have a slope overlay option.

I picked Sgor Gaoith as there are some nice steep cliffs next to it. Unlike the Alps much of Scotland is sub 30 degree so appears white with no shading.
Post edited at 14:20
OP Tricadam 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Fiona Reid:

> The Outdooractive app or webpage seems to let you add slope angle to OSM maps. I tried with the mobile webpage:

Thanks. Works great on the web page but unfortunately when I add Outdoor Active in the AlpineQuest app it doesn't give the option of that slope angle overlay. I don't suppose you've found a way to get it to do that eg in GPS Tracks?
 Fiona Reid 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
GPStracks only seems to display the overlays on Swiss Topo maps. On Android there's an Outdooractive App which is free and let me display the overlay on the OSM map for Scotland. It looks like the app is available for both Android and Apple, I've only tried the Android version but assume the Apple I've should do the same stuff.

https://www.outdooractive.com/mobile/en/mobile.html
Post edited at 15:27
OP Tricadam 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Fiona Reid:

It does indeed work in the Android app. Nice one!
 Fiona Reid 26 Dec 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

No problem, I'm off to Austria for some ski touring in March so been doing a fair bit of digging around different apps thus it's all been pretty useful prep for that trip as I've found some apps etc I didn't know existed.
OP Tricadam 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Now we just need someone good with computers to combine that Scottish slope angle data with point altitude data and the up to date SAIS rosettes to give us a map of live avalanche risk. One day!
 philipjardine 28 Dec 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

isnt fat map doing that for the alps already?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...