Powerful head torches: Silva vs Nao

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Gordon 13 Dec 2017
Has anyone used the really powerful Silva headtorches eg Trail 3XT? Cf. Petzl Nao?

I’m looking for the best blend of power/battery life/weight for night skiing but also climbing.
I have a petzl reactik+. Good light, good batt life. I find the reactive lighting irritating sometimes (looking down at feet whilst climbing and losing that bit of clarity you have looking up but i could just put it on constant but then batt life diminishes of course)

I guess that I want ~300-400 lumens as a working brightness (ie. bit more than reactik+) if possible with scope for more occasionally and ideally ~6hrs use (ie. walk in-climb at end of day-walk out...or just a nights ski training at max power).

Obviously i can see the stats for Nao & the Silva torches online but interested in real life experience ie. ease of use (buttons, intuitive modes), batt weight on your head (for the Silva 3.3mA rechargeable batt?), batt life in cold etc.

Any thoughts/advice welcome!
 Chris Calow 14 Dec 2017
In reply to James Gordon:
I use powerfull lights for night orienteering and have found that a miminum of 1000 lumins is essential. Go for Li-ion rechargable batteries, they are cheaper to run.

A lot of orienteers have bought head torches from www.brightbikelights.com. Their O set is very popular, it has a wide beam and you can adjust the brightness setting easily. It tends to swivel on its mounting a bit during running, I've added a bit of rubber to increase the friction. This torch uses a remote battery pack so you have to use a sac or bumbag to hold it. If you're out longer it has the advantage that you can use a second battery pack.
I now prefer their Ferei HL50 which is brighter, more narrower beam, is more stable on its mounting and has the batteries at the back of the head. This lasts me a good 2 hrs on full blast.
Another good supplier is www.torchdirect.co.uk. They have a huge selection of Li-ion torches, mostly hand held though. Fenix and Nitecore are really good units.
All these torches are make in China and have lasted well. Beware of getting cheap stuff from ebay, they seem to be unreliable, connections breaking and circuit boards blowing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...