BMC Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lakesben 11 Dec 2017

Just got my BMC renewal letter though and it was great to read that "we're always working to find the best possible rates for our members". Other more cynical people might think this was just a load of sales and marketing bollocks but I know it's true because it's there in black and white.

Anyway it turns out that an annual multi trip Alpine policy for Europe has only gone up by a mere £55 this year (from £134 to £189).

That's only a 41% increase.

The BMC. Working for climbers, hill walkers and mountaineers.
Post edited at 17:15
 london_huddy 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Lakesben:

I've not used BMC insurance or years. It's a great shame because I'd like to support them but it's just so expensive compared with other options for my activities.
 snoop6060 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Lakesben:

I still love their definition of what is not covered as 'lost' equipment. Apparently it's not covered if you left it unattended. Which as far as I am aware is how you lose shit. I asked them to explain what they would cover. Best I got was: if you left it in your car and that got broken into. Which sounds fairly like getting something stolen to me!
 jonchitt 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Lakesben:

Hi Lakesben

It looks like you took advantage of our Multi-Trip Alpine & Ski offer last year! The offer has now ended (keep an eye out for more Multi-Trip offers in the future as you could save loads).

We currently have a winter deal on at the moment which is 15% off Single Trip European Alpine & Ski policies. You can get a quote here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/insurance

This deal makes us much cheaper than many other insurance providers, when you raise their minimum policy cover to our level of cover. You can find out exactly what and how much we cover here https://goo.gl/LkXny8 but for a broad stroke benchmark, the BMC has a 5 star defaqto insurance rating.

In fact, even at £189 for an Alpine & Ski multi trip we’re still cheaper than our go-to competitors when you raise their cover level to our standard level.

Jon
BMC Online Marketing Coordinator
 Robert Durran 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Lakesben:

You are really buying insurance for when something really bad (and really expensive) happens. To make a fair comparison you need to look at the level of cover provided for such stuff by the alternatives and consider whether it is adequate.
 jonchitt 12 Dec 2017
In reply to snoop6060:

Hi snoop6060

You may struggle to find any insurer that will cover you for loss of unattended baggage.

BMC insurance will cover you against lost baggage when in care of a carrier, or stolen from any locked room, car, safety deposit box etc.

One area where we do go beyond most other insurance providers in terms of reclaiming lost equipment is from any items that you may be forced to leave behind in a mountain medical emergency. You can find a full breakdown of cover here: https://goo.gl/LkXny8

Jon
BMC Online Marketing Coordinator
 snoop6060 12 Dec 2017
In reply to jonchitt:
Aye, I know. I wasn't expecting to claim it back having stupidly left a bag of gear on the beach in kalymnos. But thought I'd at least ask as I seemed to recall the policy alked about lost stuff. The response made me laugh that is all. I still used BMC for next trip to the states so I wasn't too put off. I'll probably renew my yearly euro one soon too which seams good value to me.
Post edited at 10:53
 Martin Bennett 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Lakesben:

Woe betide you if you get old. For over 70s their premiums all but triple. I tried 'em for annual Worldwide and found this:
POLICY COST (ROCK) £473.22
AGE LOADING £709.83
TOTAL £1183.05
This is considerably more than double a viable alternative and also suffers in comparison because it won't do Worldwide for more than a 45 day trip.
 jonnie3430 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Lakesben:

Still covered for scuba diving too?

"The BMC, working to make sure indoor climbers have heard of them."
 mypyrex 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Lakesben:

BMC won't cover me now due to a pre-existing medical situation(which others WILL cover me for) What cover they were prepared to offer was ridiculously non-competitive due to an age loading.
I renewed my AAC membership and got automatic SAR cover and just bought a stand alone travel insurance which covered me for my pre-existing medical.
Good bye BMC
 MG 12 Dec 2017
In reply to jonchitt:

> We currently have a winter deal on at the moment which is 15% off Single Trip European Alpine & Ski policies. You can get a quote here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/insurance

How "deals" like this help BMC members? Wouldn't a steady, predictable set of premiums be better?
 kevin stephens 12 Dec 2017
In reply to MG:

> How "deals" like this help BMC members? Wouldn't a steady, predictable set of premiums be better?

That will be down to the underwriters, not the BMC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...