Pristine winter mountaineering conditions on the way.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 08 Dec 2017
Like Hell!

The weather is behaving like a big pr*ck teaser, with freezing conditions and big dumps of snow, followed by mild spells, wind and big dumps of rain. Look at the extended forecasts that's starting to look like the pattern for this winter........

Bah! Humbug.
 n-stacey 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:
“Like a big pr*ck teaser”.... lol. Great phrase...
 Robert Durran 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:

Yes, that sounds like precisely the sort of series of freeze/thaw/snow cycles needed to produce pristine winter conditions.........
 planetmarshall 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes I was about to say - that sounds like a fairly ideal Scottish Winter to me.
OP Trangia 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Yes, that sounds like precisely the sort of series of freeze/thaw/snow cycles needed to produce pristine winter conditions.........

Not if the rain keeps washing yesterday's snow away....
In reply to Trangia:
There was still plenty left in the Cairngorms after Wednesday's rain/thaw judging by webcams and the conditions last weekend.
 AlH 08 Dec 2017
In reply to BarneyLoosemore:

And no lack of winter on Ben Nevis today. Some of the the pre-thaws snow had survived but perhaps more importantly ice was forming rapidly showing the ground is still quite cool: https://www.facebook.com/alan.halewood/posts/10155198080332081?notif_id=151...
 blackcat 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia: Surley you mean big pick teaser

OP Trangia 08 Dec 2017
In reply to BarneyLoosemore:

That's good news
OP Trangia 08 Dec 2017
In reply to blackcat:

> Surley you mean big pick teaser

Oh, silly me! Of course, the pointy bit on an ice tool is called a pick - spelling never was my strongest asset
In reply to AlH:

Yup, I was up on No. 3 Gully Buttress last Sat when it was ~2C and raining and there was still a significant amount of ice. The pillar to the left of the normal start was very fat but we didn't risk it.
 CurlyStevo 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:
Looks pretty ideal to me think you are reading it wrong for Scotland perhaps the longer range is worse but let’s see... “

Colder than normal throughout the next 10 days. Incursions of warmer air will bring temporary rises in freezing level, most pronounced across England and particularly Wales, where precipitation will often fall as rain. Elsewhere, upland areas substantially frozen and most precipitation snow. Centres of low pressure will track across Britain bringing bouts of sustained upland snowfall (although not all areas will get these).
Most evidence points to warmer and wetter on the mountains on the run up to Christmas although there is some evidence that the change may be only temporary.“
Post edited at 23:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...