Gritter Tracker for Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonnie3430 08 Dec 2017
Hello,

I hadn't seen this before and thought it may help find which roads are clear after a dump. (It looks like they've already recovered the gritter that went off the Dores road this morning!)

http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a93038...
 Fiona Reid 08 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

Thanks for sharing that, very useful indeed

james.slater 08 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

The names of those grit trucks!! Gritallica and Sir Salter Scott are my favourites
Removed User 08 Dec 2017
In reply to james.slater:

Where's Gritty McGritface?
OP jonnie3430 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Removed User:

Obviously not a public vote...
 Emily_pipes 08 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

Came across the gritter site last week and I love their names. Ready Spready Go and Gritty McVitty? LOL.
 Jim Fraser 08 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

These, of course, are only the centrally funded and contractorised trunk road gritters.

This morning across the Highlands, those of us with long memories drove to work in white-decorated frustration remembering the 1990s reign of Phil Shimmin at the council transport department. In those days the winter roads were either black or, after temperatures defeated gritting, ploughed but completely white and we probably had the best cleared roads in Europe.

One organisational theme of the 90s was regional transport authorities (never happened) which would have unified clearing efforts even more than the council regime. Instead, we have gone in the opposite direction and involved as many organisations as possible, divided budgets and reduced standards.

It might be that outside some lowland politicians second home further south the road clearing has improved. However, for many thousands of people and businesses across the north where this is important during a large part of most winters, standards are sinking ever lower and eating into their quality of life and economic viability.

Andy Hardy 08 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

There's a little gritter in Oldham, named "The gritsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow anti slip machiney"

Mal Grey 08 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

This is great. From my sofa in Surrey, I just watched a gritter called Sir Grits-a-lot go round a roundabout in Inverness. Friday night is looking up!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...