Photo voting request

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 06 Dec 2017
To the person who systematically votes 1 for every single photo I post on here: I wonder if you would care to take the trouble to let me know either here or by email why you think that all my photos are "rubbish". I'm always keen to improve my photography so would really appreciate some constructive feedback on where I am going so badly wrong. Thanks in advance.
 atrendall 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

I'd just like to say, don't worry too much, Robert. Your photos are great and you have a large gallery of varied images to be proud of.
 jethro kiernan 06 Dec 2017

Some very good photos in your gallery, don't worry it happens to every one, none of your pictures deserve anything below 3
I would maybe cull a few photos if your interested in photography feedback, but on the other hand you have some nice photos that are informative about some of the places you've visited. It would. Be a shame to loose that resource from UKC.
Keep up the good photographs.
 Greasy Prusiks 06 Dec 2017

I don't know but you've taken some superb photos there.
 pebbles 06 Dec 2017

sounds like somebody probably voting down further than they actually mean in an attempt to lower the overall average to what they feel it should get. bit silly and misses the point of voting really but dont let it bug you.
 IM 06 Dec 2017

If that is what is happening then I think you would be fully justified in giving yourself a 5 to compensate. They are clearly not interested in the photos.
 HeMa 06 Dec 2017

Sound like a person who has a grief on ya.

And it ain't me. Your photos look stellar.

'nuff said.
 kevin stephens 06 Dec 2017

Isn't there a UKC bot that trawls the photo galleries weeding out votes which don't fit a pattern? I've noticed this on my gallery with an unexpected sudden drop in the total number of votes. So in time it should redress the problem automatically?

Just had a look at your gallery.
It's probably down to jealousy!
)

Your photos are great. What is there not to like? We live in strange times.

Britain, Bretixered Britain, has become exceedingly (to me shockingly) odd.

I am bothered thus: "Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad"
 FactorXXX 07 Dec 2017
In reply to John Stainforth:

Britain, Bretixered Britain, has become exceedingly (to me shockingly) odd.

Is there anything that can't be blamed on Brexit?

youtube.com/watch?v=h2QZprRgxDc&

As for the photo's, mostly excellent and definitely not worthy of a 1. Apart from the ones of Robert in his dodgy headband that is...
 pebbles 07 Dec 2017

out of curiosity, how do you know what all the different votes were? (not names, jst scores). I didnt know you could do that!
 Fraser 07 Dec 2017

Just ignore the votes.

File under 'First World problems'.
OP Robert Durran 07 Dec 2017
In reply to pebbles:
> Out of curiosity, how do you know what all the different votes were? (not names, jst scores). I didnt know you could do that!

When a photo has only had a few votes, it is possible to calculate from it's change in average vote what vote has just been made. I put four photos up yesterday morning. When each had only had a few votes, I happened to notice all their averages fell suddenly and I was able to tell that someone had just voted 1 for all of them. This is not the first time this has happened recently.
Post edited at 11:10
In reply to Fraser:

> Just ignore the votes.

> File under 'First World problems'.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things, one vindictive idiot is neither here nor there, but it's still a little bit annoying!
 Mark Collins 07 Dec 2017

Yes this used to bother me also, until I got a photo of the week. Since then, having achieved my goal its no longer a problem. That said, motivation has been lacking since then also.

Think I remember suggesting this previously, that the photo competition would be better if votes were allowed to be made but not displayed until the Sunday (Top Ten Photos of the week displayed) of the first week of submittal. In that way you won't at least get people vindictively voting low, based on previous high votes an image has collected. My point being that some people (including me), are swayed by the votes of others.
 jethro kiernan 07 Dec 2017
There does seem to be someone who votes 1 in the first five votes of any decent picture I put up
It is first world but mildly annoying if you have put some effort into something
Post edited at 12:29
 pebbles 07 Dec 2017
ah, fair enough. seems a tad too much attention to detail, but I can understand your annoyance, theyre excellent photos and only an idiot would vote them 1. perhaps its somebody on a mission to downvote photos they doent think are sufficiently climbing related?
Post edited at 12:39
 pebbles 07 Dec 2017
or maybe....gasp...a rival taking it all a bit too seriously trying to get their own photo higher up the ranks (cue the eastenders drumbeat cliffhanger music)
Post edited at 12:42
In reply to pebbles:

> or maybe....gasp...a rival taking it all a bit too seriously trying to get their own photo higher up the ranks (cue the eastenders drumbeat cliffhanger music)

James Rushforth feeling threatened?
In reply to pebbles:

> Perhaps its somebody on a mission to downvote photos they doent think are sufficiently climbing related?

But it happens with climbing related ones too. Anyway, hills and hillwalking are perfectly permissible, so I suppose it's whether big sand dunes count as hills.

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 07 Dec 2017

> James Rushforth feeling threatened?

I couldn't help myself when a sudden storm of sandscapes appeared to knock me off my perch

*Scuttles off to sabotage a certain Mr Griffiths...
 jethro kiernan 07 Dec 2017
In reply to James Rushforth:

im going to post some Aurora pics now
 buzby 07 Dec 2017

possibly not related to your photos at all, most likely someone just doesn't like you very much.
In reply to buzby:
> possibly not related to your photos at all, most likely someone just doesn't like you very much.

Well yes, I think that is clearly the case, and so it's the sneaky anonymous and petty nature of their actions which I find sad - obviously a pretty inadequate person.
Post edited at 16:25
 The New NickB 07 Dec 2017

Out of interest, have your average scores gone up or down since you started this thread?
In reply to Mark Collins:
> In that way you won't at least get people vindictively voting low, based on previous high votes an image has collected.

I think the best way to avoid this sort of negative voting would be if all votes were positive (maybe 3-excellent, 2-very good, 1-good - like starred climbs) so that any vote at all will improve the overall ranking of a photo.

> My point being that some people (including me), are swayed by the votes of others.

I agree. If people see a photo on 5, I think they are more likely to vote 5 themselves - I think bucking the trend at least often makes people pause to think. The vindictive early 1 votes I get almost certainly have an amplified effect on the overall voting because a good photo will be left languishing on a low score for a while (perhaps deterring high scores) and will be less visible down the rankings for a while (My own photo now second in the rankings at 26 votes at an average 4.6 sat way down on 3 or so for a bit). The very best photos will always win through in the end, but some actually pretty decent ones will disappear off the radar for good.

Anyway, in the end it's all only a fun game, but games are always best if played in a good spirit.
Post edited at 16:49
In reply to The New NickB:
> Out of interest, have your average scores gone up or down since you started this thread?

Hard to say if the thread has affected the scores. Two of the photos have fared very well, but one of therm took quite a while to recover from the hit. The other two (which I personally like just as much) have struggled to recover, but maybe that's just because they're genuinely not to people's taste (One is on only 2.8, but I really love it's almost abstract look).

I imagine the thread has prompted some people to look at the photos, but whether I've been voted down for being a whinger or voted up in sympathy I've no idea!
Post edited at 16:56
I'll I can say is that people can be really odd about this sort of thing. Years ago I hung around on the DPreview Nikon forum. A kindly bloke called Morris was the top poster by miles. People often posted photos for comment. Morris always commented on any photos posted and always said something positive as well as making suggestions. He often posted his own photos and got lots of praise. But some how this wound some one up. Technically putting photos in the equipment forum for comment was against the rules, although it was common practice. Any way some one managed to get Morris banned. It was crazy.

The result was that about a 1000 of us moved to Flickr. Apparently Morris is still DPreviews top poster, years later. My point is that there are no limits to how far people will go with petty jealousy. Try not to let it get to you
Post edited at 17:26
 steveriley 07 Dec 2017

Ah yes 'punishment voting'. I've put pics up to clarify confusing/missing route descriptions and improve the crag database. It's not art but, you know, "Go away, you ninny!" Skip on by please, voting's not compulsory.
 krikoman 07 Dec 2017

Your photos a very good.

I have a stalker that usually dislikes any comment I put up, it makes me laugh to be honest.
It's nice that someone cares so much to take the time.

I suppose it depends upon what your aim is, in posting your photos though.

If it's to share your adventures then who give a flying toss?
 Sean Kelly 08 Dec 2017

i thought there was some software device that stopped this sort of thing happening. I have for instance sometimes noticed that my total votes drops rather dramatically at times and just assume that someone has deleted themselves from the site. But if you have any thoughts...
Personally if I vote on a sunset photo it has to have some worth, as many sunsets always seem to attract good scores, but not from me. But then again an average photo of some very hard climb again seems to score high, but again not from me unless it is genuinely worthy. Also the same with non-climbing/mountain themed photos. But sometimes there are exceptions such as James Rushforth's plane piccy with that beautiful night sky. But as you said it is a little odd, but like most things in life best to just keep 'bu**ering on' and ignore them. Quality, like cream, always comes to the top!
Andy Gamisou 09 Dec 2017

> To the person who systematically votes 1 for every single photo I post on here....

A fair few of your recent photos appear to have garnered a '5' vote, so not sure that this can be quite true. Mind you the 'sort by date' function appears a bit quirky (i.e. wrong) so maybe I'm not seeing all your recent offerings.

OP Robert Durran 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Hugh Mongous:

> A fair few of your recent photos appear to have garnered a '5' vote, so not sure that this can be quite true.

That just makes it blatantly stand out!
 jcw 09 Dec 2017
Interesting. I've just looked at my gallery for the first time in ages and seen that someone must have gone through it in a massive way and knocked down the score. I've always noted that one of the top markers, it is pretty obvious which, always rushed in at the start to give me a low mark and influence the subsequent voting. But on the whole I think things even out.
Post edited at 09:38
 Sean Kelly 09 Dec 2017

Of course it could be CRH from Strictly voting on here...!
 IM 10 Dec 2017

Ok, you got UKH photo of the week, UKH gallery of the week, and 4 pics in the top ten and 134 votes!. ... was the OP all a brilliantly executed cunning plan?

(Well done btw!)
OP Robert Durran 10 Dec 2017
In reply to IM:

> Ok, you got UKH photo of the week.

Only beacause James Rushforth mysteriously chose to categorise his crashed plane as a Climbing and Mountaineering photo rather than a Hillwalking and Mountain one (!). Difficult choice I suppose

> Was the OP all a brilliantly executed cunning plan?

Not at all I'm afraid!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...