NEWS: Trump Shrinks US National Monuments by over 80%

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 05 Dec 2017
President Donald Trump has announced plans to reduce the scale of US National Monuments by over 80%. An 84% reduction of Bears Ears and a 50% reduction of Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments could considerably impact access to popular climbing and hiking hotspots in Indian Creek, in addition to the loss of protection for land bearing cultural, environmental and historical significance to native populations.

Read more
 Kemics 05 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Christ it's not even been an entire year yet and it's just endless clusterf*cks. I do wish someone would hurry up and impeach him
 Toerag 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Kemics:

> Christ it's not even been an entire year yet and it's just endless clusterf*cks. I do wish someone would hurry up and shoot him

FTFY.
 J Whittaker 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Kemics:

*Assassinate
 myrddinmuse 05 Dec 2017

I hope either cardiac or Mueller arrests the big orange carbuncle before he's f*cked America and the Americans beyond all recovery. Stacking of the judicial system and this kind of far-reaching legislation will be tough to bounce back from.
 ChrisBrooke 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Toerag:

> Christ it's not even been an entire year yet and it's just endless clusterf*cks. I do wish someone would hurry up and shoot him

What, like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12143774

Or this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40278024

Or I suppose, like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25046604

I'm sure you're 'only joking', but it's not really that funny.

toad 05 Dec 2017
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Whilst there would be a nice irony that someone so in hock to the firearms industry might be shot, I think the US has seen quite enough gun crime already. Plus, have we already so forgotten Jo Cox that we can joke about it??

Besides I want to see his big orange face bluster and whine for months before a jury of his peers in the full harsh glare of the TV lights whilst the wrongdoings and screw ups of him, his family and his sycophantic entourage are forensically dissected in front of him.
 ChrisBrooke 05 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

> Besides I want to see his big orange face bluster and whine for months before a jury of his peers in the full harsh glare of the TV lights whilst the wrongdoings and screw ups of him, his family and his sycophantic entourage are forensically dissected in front of him.

That would be preferable to suborning murder....
 planetmarshall 05 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

> ...whilst the wrongdoings and screw ups of him, his family and his sycophantic entourage are forensically dissected in front of him.

I kind of feel sorry for his family, after all, you don't get to choose. Sometimes I wonder if somewhere there's a Trump, quietly getting on with things away from the nectarine nepotism. Like that Osborne sibling that refused to be involved in the reality show.

ChrisBrooke 05 Dec 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

His third daughter, working for an NGO in Syria distributing food to displaced peoples....
 Danm79 05 Dec 2017

"Mr Trump said: 'I've come to Utah to take a very historic action, to reverse federal over-reach and to restore the rights of this land to your citizens.' "

Nice concise example of the Trump Method...

1. Shaft everyone.
2. Tell malicious lies about anyone trying to help the people being shafted.
3. Praise oneself whilst doing so.

Tom Last 05 Dec 2017
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> That would be preferable to suborning murder....

It would be preferable to just about anything.
 webding 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Danm79:

It seems that Bears Ears National Park has only existed for 12 months and was deeply unpopular.
https://sutherlandinstitute.org/rescind-bears-ears-2/
In reply to Danm79:

> "...reverse federal over-reach..."

That's a great one.

"We've decided to abolish all workers rights because we are sick of federal over-reach".

"I know you need healthcare but what you don't want is federal over-reach.

"Yes half of the USA was killed in a gun attack but seriously, is federal over-reach what you really want?"
 john yates 05 Dec 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Decimate by 50%? Hmm
 cragtyke 05 Dec 2017
In reply to webding:

> It seems that Bears Ears National Park has only existed for 12 months and was deeply unpopular.

Just one of the things that's unpopular with those funloving mormon conservatives by the look of it.

Arms Cliff 05 Dec 2017
In reply to webding:

From their wiki
“Sutherland Institute is a conservative public policy think tank located in Salt Lake City, Utah. The Institute was founded in 1995 by Utah businessman and philanthropist Gaylord K. Swim. The Sutherland Institute believes that families, private initiatives, voluntary associations, churches and businesses are better than the government at solving problems“

Nice balanced independent source there...
 redjerry 06 Dec 2017
In reply to webding:

Utter rubbish webding. Maybe time to start questioning your sources.
mysterion 06 Dec 2017

The beast. I blame Brexit, and racism.
 Adrien 06 Dec 2017
In reply to webding:

Bears Ears National Monument was/is entirely within San Juan County, where just over half the population is Native American, and one can safely assume they are in favour of the monument since the various tribes were the main driving forces championing the creation of the monument. Not to mention the local businesses reliant on tourism (in this respect the locals living within Grand Staircase-Escalante NM have benefitted tremendously from the monument, which led to the creation of more sustainable jobs than those created by extractive industries).
 jonny taylor 06 Dec 2017
This is pretty gutting and, I fear, irreversible.

The amount of untouched Anasazi ruins and rock art in this area is just incredible, with published guidebooks (deliberately) only scratching the surface. I fear that the deliberate policy of obscurity to protect the remains means that many people just don't know what they may be losing here. Such a shame.
 Tony Jones 06 Dec 2017
In reply to webding:
> It seems that Bears Ears National Park has only existed for 12 months and was deeply unpopular.

Here's a link with a few actual statistics about the popularity (within Utah) of Bears Ears National Monument: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/12/national-monuments-in-utah-are-...

A cursory read will show that it actually ain't that unpopular in realitiy: probably the only majority against is within sparsely populated Southern Utah where a number of white residents think that looting the artifacts contained within Bears Ears is an acceptable pastime.

There are many things I abhor about Trump but it's the environmental destruction that he is enabling that grieves me most.

Post edited at 10:07
 simoninger 06 Dec 2017

"A politician thinks of the next election. A statesman thinks of the next generation." I think as long as he and his croneys are turning a profit, Trump doesn't even care about either.
 Tony Jones 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Tony Jones:

Further to my last post.

Patagonia's fact-checking of Trump's speech:

https://www.patagonia.com/blog/activism/there-is-trump-and-there-is-the-tru...
 stp 10 Dec 2017

Yvon Chouinard spoke out on national TV on this:

https://gripped.com/video/watch-yvon-chouinard-talk-about-bears-ears/

Apparently though Chouinard is 'completely exploiting the the outdoors for industrialised tourism' according to some half wit spokesman at the end. Where do they get these idiots from?
 RR 10 Dec 2017
In reply to stp:

Aha, I see, you are talking about the alternative Truth.
Removed User 10 Dec 2017

And yet here in Canada we seem to have had an injection of common sense:

http://protectpeel.ca/news/landmark-supreme-court-decision-is-a-victory-for...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...