Culsharg Bothy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 skizxi 05 Dec 2017
I understand this is more of a shelter but can anyone confirm if it has an open fire place?
 Andy Johnson 05 Dec 2017
In reply to skizxi:

Never been there, but this pic shows a rather impressive fireplace:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmenziephotography/14950773652
Jim C 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Andy Johnson:

> Never been there, but this pic shows a rather impressive fireplace:

I would check the MBA site, things can change, on a recent work party we had to remove the chimney at Abyssinia and brick up the fireplace.

A fire is a big deal in winter, so I would not want to haul in fuel to a bothy only to find there was no fire, it happened to me in Knoydart, I should have checked.
 Andy Johnson 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Jim C:
As far as I know, Culsharg isn't managed by the MBA. A quick search suggests that the Forestry Commission is responsible for it, but I couldn't find anything official. Perhaps not surprising given that it is fairly close to a road.
Post edited at 10:19
 Andy Johnson 05 Dec 2017
In reply to skizxi:
This is dated July 2017 and shows a blocked-up fireplace:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.1083372,-4.4856477,3a,75y,7.25h,75.91t/da...

Looks fairly grim.
Post edited at 14:35
Jim C 06 Dec 2017

Well done in finding that, if Skizxi went in without knowing that he would have been a tad disappointed.
The same if course goes for all the bothy's MBA of otherwise, try to find out its current status.
( this forum is obviously one of the first places to ask)
 JCurrie 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Jim C:

But as I see it, the two pictures Andy has linked to are shot in two different rooms, no?
 Siward 07 Dec 2017
In reply to JCurrie:

Yes, the Flickr picture posted above is definitely a separate room. It does purport to be a 2014 picture though.

Surely somebody on this site can just pop in and check, maybe at the weekend, no?
 Siward 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Siward:

This blog : https://loveexploringscotland.com/2017/02/20/%F0%9F%8C%B2-the-merrick-trail...

from Feb 2017 (about 1/3 of the way down) says that there had been recent restoration with new roof and windows, in which case one would have thought the presence of rain caps on the chimneys significant- why not just seal them off if non-functioning? The writer also says "I could imagine sitting around a fire, all cosy and quiet telling ghost stories", tricky without a fireplace unless he's a would be arsonist. No pics of a fireplace though and I suppose it's entirely possible that the room with a fireplace is locked up.

I've clearly far too much time on my hands today...
 jonnie3430 07 Dec 2017

> This is dated July 2017 and shows a blocked-up fireplace:

The fireplace we used to use was in the room in the left as you come in the door, not that one. Haven't been there since the nineties though.

Andy Johnson 07 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:
Well spotted! Looking at pictures of the bothy taken from outside, the chimneys are clearly above the interior dividing wall, not the right-hand end wall shown in the second picture that I posted. The long tree branches/logs shown in that photo don't seem to have any purpose other than for use as firewood, though, which suggests to me they were left there to dry and there may well still be a fireplace in the other room.

If it wasn't 200 miles away from where I am I'd nip up there at the weekend, as it looks like a nice setting for a bothy.
Post edited at 10:52
 jonnie3430 07 Dec 2017

I used to go there with scouts, we'd camp/ sleep in the bothy overnight and head up Merrick the next day. Have memories trying to get sopping wood from the forest to light in the fireplace there, so good if there is a wood pile!
Dawn-Marie 07 Dec 2017
In reply to skizxi:

Hello

I noticed that a link to my blog (www.loveexploringscotland.com) was posted here and I wanted to help.

If I remember right, the room with the make shift bed (left when you go through the door) had a fireplace. I checked on YouTube and found a recent video that confirms it is indeed there! About 1 minute 40secs in. You could contact the person who made the video to check if it can still be used.

youtube.com/watch?v=NHEELHyWveA&

I hope this helps. I'd love to camp there one day. Enjoy!

When I wrote "I could imagine sitting around a fire, all cosy and quiet telling ghost stories" I meant outside ... I'm definitely not a would be arsonist ... lol
 Flinticus 07 Dec 2017
In reply to skizxi:

Passed through there a few years ago when there was a guy doing the place up for the FC, using special mortar and all, keeping it traditional. It had fallen into derilicition before that so it's come on a long way since. I did say to the guy that it would provide a likely drinking / drug haven for the less savory, being fairly easy to get to. Good to see it has not yet been decisively trashed
Removed User 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

This is the one on the path to the Merrick, about 1.5 miles from the road?

I passed by it tho summer and had a look in. It was a complete shithole. I don't actually remember the fireplace but do remember the smell of damp, soot and smoke so I assume the fire was working.

Backhill would be a better choice of Galloway bothy I think.

Flinticus 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Removed User:

Damp and soot do not a shit hole make. Was there rubbish and so on? I fear it's too close to the road.
Removed User 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Flinticus:

Oh yes, rubbish too of course.

You're right, it's too close to the road.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...