Tony Blair and the Northern Ireland border

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 03 Dec 2017
He seems to have succinctly put things in relation to the conundrum(as he rightly classifies it.) and for once I think that he is right. At least he does not need to use this to smokescreen other matters, like the Eire Tea-Shop needs to.
 Trangia 03 Dec 2017
In reply to veteye:

Tony Blair has actually come out with some wise suggestions from time to time.

He just totally f*cked up over Iraq.

He won't be the first or last politician to get things wrong sometimes, when they have also been very right at other times. Eg Churchill - Dardanelles, Eden - Suez, Cameron - Brexit Referendum, Thatcher - believed her own myth.
OP veteye 03 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:

So how were the other problems resolved? How will this NI border problem be settled and the political opponents quelled in their anxieties? Maybe TB should get involved with an American senator to get a solution...
 paulguy 03 Dec 2017
In reply to veteye:

I think EU membership was probably the best solution for NI. As we all became more European the traditional politics of NI would've became more and more irrelevant. Not that I was a huge Europhile before, but I recognised that it represented our best chance of a peaceful resolution. Brexit has set us back about 20 years in that respect.
Depending on the customs union arrangements then I'd expect that the smuggling opportunities will resurrect the old networks of organised crime again along with the associated sectarian overtures.
 JEF 03 Dec 2017
In reply to veteye:

On radio 4 this morning Blair said he didn’t know what the answer was......
that’s a first!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...