Yosemite book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 harryhallsdad 02 Dec 2017
Hi all, my 15 year old climbing mad son has frequent musings about some day climbing in Yosemite! With Christmas coming can anyone recommend a book that might stoke his fire. Not sure if i'm thinking about a current guide book or history of climbing style book? Any suggestions welcome, thanks
Dave
 woppo 02 Dec 2017
In reply to dave hall:
has he seen 'valley uprising', not a book but great historical documentary
on netflix
Post edited at 19:31
 Pedro50 02 Dec 2017
In reply to dave hall:

History of climbing probably better than guides if a visit is not imminent,

Yosemite Climber - George Meyers. Excellent slim photo and essay book. Our go to inspiration in the 1980s
Camp 4 - Steve Roper. Excellent written history
The Stone Masters - Long/Fidelman. De luxe coffee-table history of the 1970s.
 Andy Reeve 02 Dec 2017
In reply to dave hall:

Hi Dave,
I was once a climbing-mad 15 year-old with aspirations to go to Yosemite. I've now been three times.

This is the only recent guidebook, it's a bit short on descriptions so it isn't incredibly entertaining as a read, but it has a lot of good photos and gives a great idea of what's on offer there:
http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/Rock+Climbing+Yosemite+Valley%3A+750+Best+Fre...

The second and third links that Deadeye suggested are both a bit old now, and neither of them particularly good guidebooks IMO.

This: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yosemite-Fifty-Years-Dynamic-Climbing/dp/189857357... Is a few years old now as well, but is a brilliant coffee-table style book, full of essays on the history, great stories, and some incredible pictures.
OP harryhallsdad 02 Dec 2017
In reply to dave hall:

Brilliant , thanks all. I will have a look at suggestions and see what might suit.
Dave
In reply to Andy Reeve:
> This: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yosemite-Fifty-Years-Dynamic-Climbing/dp/189857357... Is a few years old now as well, but is a brilliant coffee-table style book, full of essays on the history, great stories, and some incredible pictures.

+1 just for the photos - the type of book that makes you want to sell all your worldly goods, dirt-bag in Camp 4, become a disciple of some modern-day Chongo Chuck, and devote your life to questing up El Cap.
 Andy Reeve 02 Dec 2017
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

> the type of book that makes you want to sell all your worldly goods, dirt-bag in Camp 4, become a disciple of some modern-day Chongo Chuck, and devote your life to questing up El Cap.

Right on!
In reply to Andy Reeve:
> Right on!

My copy is signed by Alex Huber and Leo Holding - I went to a talk by them when Leo was mid-way through his Phoenix campaign. Stood side-to-side it was hard to believe the Hubers and Leo excelled at the same pursuit. Alex and Thomas looked like ubermensch, climbing versions of Ivan Drago in Rocky 4, grown in a secret underground lab. By comparisson, Leo looked like a malnourished child. He was late getting on stage and the Hubers were chortling in a good humoured (but slightly sinister) manner that he was outside smoking.
Post edited at 22:37
In reply to thebigfriendlymoose:

*Prophet, not Phoenix
 Chris Sansum 04 Dec 2017
In reply to dave hall:

Steve Roper's Camp 4 is a great read about the history 'back in the day'.
Bogwalloper 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Chris Sansum:

All good recommendations above.

I'm assuming he's seen the movie Valley Uprising?

W
 zv 04 Dec 2017
In reply to dave hall:

How about Tommy Caldwell's book? Title escapes my mind however it may be a good choice.
OP harryhallsdad 05 Dec 2017
In reply to zmv:

yep, saw Tommy at the RGS earlier this year and got a signed copy of The Push.
This has led us on to Alex Honolds book Alone on the Wall and so it goes on!
I like the look of Yoemite by Huber and Zak so will give that a go.
Many thanks for everyones recommendations, If anyone is planning a trip out west in the next few years and needs a keen bag boy, let me know!
Dave
 Andy Fielding 07 Dec 2017
In reply to dave hall:

Dave if you contact Chris McNamara via the SuperTopo website and order the Yosemite Valley Free Climbs guidebook he may well add a personal message on the inside for your son if you ask him. He did it for me when I bought the guide a few years ago. Here's the link. http://www.supertopo.com/packs/yofreeclimbs.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...