Winter sleeping mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Coley 01 Dec 2017
Hi,
I'm after recommendations for a mat for the Alps in winter for bivvies on route. This implies sitting and not sliding off, so friction is as important as warmth. Thanks.

All the best

D.
 olddirtydoggy 01 Dec 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Montane mats have silicone spots on some models as I remember. The u ratings of the x-therm as far as I know are the best but you might have to put your own spots on it. Tube of silicone is about a fiver.
 Mark Haward 01 Dec 2017
In reply to David Coley:

Hi Dave,

I've followed other's advice including Andy K's and it has worked for me in alps and himalayas. Basic plain foam mat ( Ie Karrimor expedition ) then modify:
Corner hole reinforced so it can be tied down / clipped in.
Cut down to 3/4 length for your height and use filled rucksack / ropes for head or feet
Cut mat into 3 or 4 sections and rejoin with gaffa tape so you can fold it and put it away inside sack.
Sometimes I take a very thin extra section of mat for standing on, adding underneath bum cos I'm old
Use permanent marker to mark on games / boards

Mark
 Misha 01 Dec 2017
In reply to David Coley:

I've been using the Thermarest Neoair. Very lightweight and highly packable but vulnerable to punctures, so you have to be careful what you put it on. It's been fine in summer so far. Slipping off sloping surfaces hasn't been much of an issue but that's been on dry rock. Only used it in winter conditions once, on the Argentiere glacier in late March when the overnight temperature must have been a few degrees below zero. It was fine with a -18 sleeping bag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...