Right crampon fit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jellington 30 Nov 2017

Hi everybody,

I just bought my first ever set of crampons and I'm kinda nervous about the fit. Is this an issue?
The toe and heel bail fit seems perfect but it looks as if my boot 'floats' (only 1-2 millimeters) above my crampons.
The crampon is the Petzl Sarken and the boot is the Scarpa Jorasses GTX Pro. Oh, and I have big feet, the boots are size 48 (EU)/ 13.5 (UK).

I'd add some photos but I dont know how to.

Cheers
Post edited at 11:13
 top cat 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Jellington:

Probably ok, but you could try lengthening the setting by half a notch [if you see what I mean: Petzl linking bars have that natty mico adjust that others don't] If you are really having to crank the heel bails over could be just a bit too tight????
OP Jellington 30 Nov 2017
In reply to top cat:

Thanks, I'll give that a try!
 TobyA 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Jellington:

When you are actually wearing them there is loads of force shoving the sole of your boot against the body of the crampon. I think the gap will disappear in a few steps or fill with mud or snow which will have the same effect.
 nniff 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Jellington:

I'd say that's pretty normal - the chances that the shape of the crampon and curve of the sole of the boot being the same are almost zero. The main thing is that it's a good solid fit overall.
Jimmountainviews 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Jellington:

Hey Jellington,

Do you have any mates (with experience) that could see them and check with you? Or depending on where you are a friendly store might be able to offer advice?

I would think that with such a safety critical piece of kit checking physically with someone is probably best.

Hope you get it sorted
 vscott 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Jellington:

Pretty common fitting issue for many boot/crampon combinations... and the very asymmetric scarpa sole unit is an awkward fit in large sizes.....

a suggestion to test the fit is to attach the crampon - heel bale should snap shut but not be super tight, then try and lever it off (pull the central linking bar away from the sole and side to side with some force).
If you don’t get any (or only tiny e.g. 1mm) shift then fit probably ok, otherwise try adjusting the toe bale - different holes either side, and likewise heel bale to see if helps. Failing that petzl make a ‘curved’ linking bar that have found can help fit scarpa soles better.

Also as above good idea to get someone else to take a look in the flesh.

In reply to Jimmountainviews:

Hey Jim,
I dont really have mates who have ever seen or used crampons. Here in Holland there's not alot of people who use crampons. The outdoor shops here also doesn't have really experienced or knowledgeable staff. Thanks for the reply!
In reply to vscott:

I'll try this test, cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...